Anyone here running Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 2004 SRR WRX
Anyone here running Nitrous?

I've read of a few people running up to a 50 shot on their 2.0 wrx's. I was just wondering if anybody here is using it or has used it. If so, What are your opinions on it? What brand did you use? Wet or Dry? What size shot? How much performance increase? Would you recommend it to others? I'm just curious because I always thought there would be some problems with running nitrous on a boosted car with fueling issues and whatnot.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:37 AM

Car Info: Evo G-Car RRS 600RR YZ125 TRX450r
dont waste your time with nitrous, get a reflash, tb exhaust, and then upgrade your turbo
Old 01-02-2006, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
look into alchy injection

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ohol+injection

this will probably be my next mod
Old 01-02-2006, 10:27 AM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
yeah...nitrous too expensive/dangerous....use it as a spray on your intercooler if you must...it would be a better use of it. i must agree with overachiever on this one....
Old 01-02-2006, 11:39 AM

Car Info: 2004 SRR WRX
Thanks for the link on alcohol injection, and I will look / am looking into it. Although I don't think I could bring myself to use that particular kit.

It amazes me that people are terrified of putting a sealed metal container of a non-flammable liquid in their trunk (nitrous), but they have no problem putting a HIGHLY flammable liquid like methanol or denatured alcohol (with a boiling point of only 173 deg. f) in a PLASTIC container inches away from their turbocharger, intercooler, and exhaust manifolds. Any leaks at all and it would be bad news. If I were to use alcohol injection, it would be from the smallest metal fuel cell I could find in the trunk with it's own fuel pump to get it to the engine.

Anyways, I appreciate the comments, but nobody ever has an actual experience to back up their negative nitrous recommendations. Everybody is scared of it, but I really think it is unjustified. I think nitrous got a bad rep purely from jealousy when people who had invested tons into their non-nitrous motors started getting beat at the track by people who had invested only a small amount in their engine and a nitrous system. Then take a few examples of people having problems caused by bad installs or improper use and convince the world that nitrous is bad. I may be wrong, but that's my take on it. I will say, however, that I have read many many people talk about how bad and dangerous nitrous is, and how big a waste of money it is. But I have never heard of someone with a working nitrous system be so disappointed by it that they un-installed it. Everybody who has it is happy with it, while everyone without it claims it will make your car a "bomb". Either way, I'll stop ranting.

My plan is to buy an AEM ecu when my finances permit. It has nitrous control built in and I was thinking of running a larger turbo and using a variable/progressive injection of nitrous at low rpms to help build boost. The nitrous would actually probably taper off as turbo boost builds up so that by full boost you're off nitrous. If I were to use Alcohol injection, it would be in conjunction with the nitrous, not instead of nitrous. I would use the nitrous up until some boost is built, and then alcohol as the boost increases until it's making full boost. Of course I would have to have a tune just for racing that would control these, and would probably thake the bottle/alcohol out of the car altogether for daily driving.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
sounds like you have a good plan, just be sure you do the right research and dont screw it up. i wont do it myself, just because of the wear and tear on my whole motor. plus id rather beat "that car" on pure motor/turbo. just makes it more...deserved. IMHO.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:04 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
look into alchy injection

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ohol+injection

this will probably be my next mod

hey jess, i was also looking into alky injection...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by myroncuz
hey jess, i was also looking into alky injection...

myron so what have you came up with on the alchy injection??
Old 01-02-2006, 08:25 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
I know LookingForPower has an Ntercooler sprayer kit setup in his car, but last I heard it wasn't hooked up yet, might wanna get with him...
Old 01-02-2006, 10:25 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
I run NOS but I keep it to a minimum. Every time I hit the button on my steering wheel, my vision blurs, the rivets break off my floorpan, resulting in it falling off at unreal speeds. If I hit the second stage button on my steering wheel, then I run the chance of blowing the welds on my intake manifold. So I normally keep it off, but I can turn it on in a hurry, which is easy to do since the shut off valve is under my passenger seat.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
Originally Posted by Scubaru
I run NOS but I keep it to a minimum. Every time I hit the button on my steering wheel, my vision blurs, the rivets break off my floorpan, resulting in it falling off at unreal speeds. If I hit the second stage button on my steering wheel, then I run the chance of blowing the welds on my intake manifold. So I normally keep it off, but I can turn it on in a hurry, which is easy to do since the shut off valve is under my passenger seat.
hahahahHAHAHAhahahHAHAHA
Old 01-02-2006, 11:34 PM

but does your laptop screen start flashing...that's how you know when you're really deep in the ****...
Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
but does your laptop screen start flashing...that's how you know when you're really deep in the ****...
****, dont remind me. I have to go to CompUSA every time I hit the NOS button. Once the floorboard goes out the screen goes bonkers then I slam it shut yelling "SHUT UP!" breaking it in the process everytime. Needless to say, very exspensive.

No worries though. My new Supra will not have the laptop. Although I'll have some mad vinyl graphics yO!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:48 PM

****, dont remind me. I have to go to CompUSA every time I hit the NOS button. Once the floorboard goes out the screen goes bonkers then I slam it shut yelling "SHUT UP!" breaking it in the process everytime. Needless to say, very exspensive.

No worries though. My new Supra will not have the laptop. Although I'll have some mad vinyl graphics yO!
I've gone through about 9 targa tops trying to save people from the trucks they're trying to steal from...**** sucks man.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 AM

Car Info: Evo G-Car RRS 600RR YZ125 TRX450r
My thoughts:
1. Im not afraid to put nitrous into my car (i had it in my old gsr)
2. $60 per fill gets expensive
3. My friend blew his motor in his 03 spec-v, most likely because he was a nitrous junky.
4. Why only have a fast car when you feel like burning money?
5. heated N20 becomes nitrogen and oxygen (which is extremely flamable/volatile)
6. 173degree boiling point isnt the same as the flash point
7. Spray at low rpms = detonation
8. Unless you are running 1000hp turbo your revs at launch should be enough for spool
9. If you wanna lecture us about how good nitrous is in a wrx why ask about it in the first place

Quick Reply: Anyone here running Nitrous?