Anybody ever order tires from Costco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Anybody ever order tires from Costco?

Anybody local ever order tires online from Costco? How does it work? I went online and it looks like you need to put in your vehicle year make and model to order tires. But, the thing about it is that the tires I plan on ordering are not within the "norm" for my wagon. Anybody know how I can do this? And also, if I do order it, can they just mount and balance the new tires on the wheels if I bring them in? Or do they have to be on the car already and they remove them?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'd try calling them.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I'd try calling them.
I actually just tried calling them before posting this. I guess they were busy, because nobody answered. I was bored, so I figured I'd post it up. I could've sworn I talked to a local member who ordered from them before.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
i went in to the tire center and it's pretty easy. just tell them what size you want. shipping takes 2-4 weeks but well worth it if you can afford the wait. their price on KDWs i have yet to see beaten. GL
Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 04sleeper
i went in to the tire center and it's pretty easy. just tell them what size you want. shipping takes 2-4 weeks but well worth it if you can afford the wait. their price on KDWs i have yet to see beaten. GL
Thanks Justin. Would you happen to know if when the tires come in if they can just mount them up for you and you pick up the mounted rims/tires or do they need to install them on the car?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
you can bring in your rims off the car and have them mounted. i brought mine in a truck and they mounted the tires. i think total was $550 when i bought my KDWs
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
plus they fill the tires with nitrogen vs. compressed air. i had some g-force sports put on my jetta's 17s and they put this green cap on the valve stems. last time i checked, they gave free rotation and balance for as long as you own the tires/rims.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Yes, mounting and balancing are included in the price of the tires. Like Mike said, rotation and balancing are free as long as you own the tires, just need to show receipt when gettin it done. I personally told them to put back the black caps (buk by blood, but didn't want to show it). Nitrogen better than air, more dense and less likely to leak out, pressures hold much longer than compressed air.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
i assume you can use compressed with the nitrogen if you do lose some pressure.

did they have a prob putting black caps on since you had nitrogen or were they cool with it.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
i assume you can use compressed with the nitrogen if you do lose some pressure.

did they have a prob putting black caps on since you had nitrogen or were they cool with it.
They did tell me that it is put on to designate that the tire had nitrogen in it, but the guy was buk like me so he laughed and put on the blacks.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
if you really want to keep the black caps, just take them off before you turn in the car. i took the green caps off my 17's and put them on my 19" SSR's so i wouldn't get pissed if someone took my SSR caps. the original caps from VW on my 17's were cool in the fact that you didn't have to take them off to add air or check pressure.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black STI
i recently bought tires and had them mounted at costco, instead of ordering from their website you have to actuallly go there and order the tire, they tell you 2 - 4 weeks, but my tires came in within a few days, it depends if they have it in stock at their mainland warehouse.

and yes you can bring your own wheels to have the tires mounted, the only thing is that the tire and wheel combo that you get cant be that much bigger than the stock size of the tire and wheel combo that your car comes stock.

that was what i was told cuz when i was ordering they looked up the stock tire and wheel size of my car and told me that i was just within range of their policy, any bigger and they wouldnt do it.

also they wont do aggressive stretch tire setups
Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Brandon, I ordered my KDW's from Costco too. Good prices, especially since either BFG's or Michellins always seem to go on sale.

I had problems ordering as well, so I just tricked the system. I think stock LGT comes 215/45/17, but I wanted to go with the 225/45/17 KDW's. Unlike other sites where you can search by tire size, Costco online makes you search by car make & model.

So, I just entered my car as being an STI & I was able to order the tires I wanted. When I went in to install them I told them what I had done & they just switched their computer records to reflect that I actually had a LGT. I told them I knew they were going to fit b/c I already had those size tires on the car.

Everytime I've gone there for rotation & rebalancing they are SUPER busy...even on weekdays. I just bring a book or my portable DVD player & wait it out. Might be better to just have someone pick you up.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:02 PM

Car Info: 08 lgt
I was told they only do stock sizes when I went to check out kdw's for my 240. Something like costco doesn't wanna be held liable if they scratch aftermarket rims or some ****.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Bran,
This is just my take, but can I ask why you wanna go with costco? Tirerack has pretty good deals. Although shipping went up a bit, you can still get it for decent. My last 4 sets of tires were ordered through them, but i had gone through my connection at firestone to get the last set (hankooks).
You can have it shipped to any adress i believe.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever order tires from Costco?