Aloha United Way Car Cruise ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:15 AM

Car Info: WRX 05
Aloha United Way Car Cruise ?

Does anyone know if there is a Aloha United Way Car Cruise this year ? ...... i've been going for the pass 2 years and it was great ... but i haven't gotten any info for this year yet ...... lmk please

,Richard
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
walter and i were in the process of turning over the torch to give way for others to have a chance to organize this event. this was at least a month ago. not sure where we are at in that process though. it's already october and the chances of having one this year is very slim unless something drastic happens soon.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Honestly, I'm a little intimidated at the idea of planning something like this. I feel this way because you guys simply just do damn good work when it comes to our cruises, and I couldn't imagine organizing sponsors, collecting donations, and the logistics that go into that. What is suggested by AUW to attend the cruise? Any way we could organize it by those standards?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
Hey Ted,

Let's set up a meeting with me, Josh, Ryan and Shaggy. I've got a lot of free time on my hands now haha
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krang
Honestly, I'm a little intimidated at the idea of planning something like this. I feel this way because you guys simply just do damn good work when it comes to our cruises, and I couldn't imagine organizing sponsors, collecting donations, and the logistics that go into that. What is suggested by AUW to attend the cruise? Any way we could organize it by those standards?
ryan, first of all, thanks for the compliment! i know we set the bar a little too high, especially with last years being the most elaborate so i know it looks very daunting. but like i told the guys who are volunteering that we will work with them to make it a smooth transition. we have already established the sponsors, logistics, etc. all they need to do is the legwork, basically.

Originally Posted by die_lawn
Hey Ted,

Let's set up a meeting with me, Josh, Ryan and Shaggy. I've got a lot of free time on my hands now haha

dylan, lmk soon because i will be out of the country for 3 weeks starting on the the 20th of this month. all my weekends are booked for my hikes (of course, hahah). but we can meet on a weeknight preferably not on friday though (since i always have big hikes on saturdays). and yes, we need walter in that meeting, too.

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 10-05-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I was the guy that started this thing like 6-7 years ago (I worked at AUW and still do it as a career just in a diff. city). Yeah these guys took it to far greater heights than I could've imagined but I will tell you right now that it isn't about all the cool swag, sponsorships, flying squirrels and pink flamingos...its about a bunch of people with passion for the community getting together to celebrate what we are doing to make Hawaii a better place to live and raise a family.

So yes, you newer guys CAN DO IT. I have faith in all of you to pull it off!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 AM

I'm free pretty much every evening Ted. Let me know, 780-7955. I'm willing to devote a lot of time to help out!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by bpang1
I was the guy that started this thing like 6-7 years ago (I worked at AUW and still do it as a career just in a diff. city). Yeah these guys took it to far greater heights than I could've imagined but I will tell you right now that it isn't about all the cool swag, sponsorships, flying squirrels and pink flamingos...its about a bunch of people with passion for the community getting together to celebrate what we are doing to make Hawaii a better place to live and raise a family.

LMAO, thanks blake for passing the torch to me lol How's the fam in cincy? Sorry I couldnt catch up with you guys when you were in hawaii for a bit.

I'm free pretty much every evening Ted. Let me know, 780-7955. I'm willing to devote a lot of time to help out!
Uhhh..........Hate to rain on your parade but I hope you have alot of time especially when the season comes around. IF YOU ARE TRULY SERIOUS ABOUT IT, consult with Ted,our AUW Coordinator,and myself for a sit down. When I was soley running it the year i took over for blake, I was totally stressing. Im just putting it out there and letting you know before you committ completely. Not scarring you, just being upfront!!

I forgot to mention that the year after when Ted lent his assistance, then it was smoother sailing as I asked him do the announcements on the day while I just kicked back lol. LOL, Ted, I know you are going to read this. lol

Last edited by dub81; 10-09-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by dub81
LMAO, thanks blake for passing the torch to me lol How's the fam in cincy? Sorry I couldnt catch up with you guys when you were in hawaii for a bit.
Moved to Spokane so that's why we came to visit HI last spring. Trip was a whirlwind and will probably be that way for the foreseeable future or at least until my daughter can catch rides without a car-seat ha ha ha.

For the guys planning the cruise. You can really try to simplify it as much as possible. Before it got turned into "the ownage mode" that the current guys have created, it was just a simple cruise around the island with a few planned spots to stop for pictures/hangout/eat. The first few years, we only had sponsors for the door prizes and my stress-level wasn't very high other than making sure no one street raced or died.

So maybe start small. Do the things that Ted / Walt did that you know you can replicate for this year then add your own twists in the following years.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

For the guys planning the cruise. You can really try to simplify it as much as possible. Before it got turned into "the ownage mode" that the current guys have created, it was just a simple cruise around the island with a few planned spots to stop for pictures/hangout/eat. The first few years, we only had sponsors for the door prizes and my stress-level wasn't very high other than making sure no one street raced or died.

So maybe start small. Do the things that Ted / Walt did that you know you can replicate for this year then add your own twists in the following years.
nicely said, blake. i know we never met, but the guys at AUW still remembers what you started on HIIC. but, we didn't just start with all the bells and whistles. we started from scratch with no leads. our primary goal was always to how we can raise more money for donations to the community and never for recognition. and just to clarify some things, we already told the new organizers that we will turn over all the logistics and all information necessary to coordinate this event so it shouldn't be so painful. we already have signed up both local and national sponsors who literally told us that they are looking forward to the next event.

you all need to realize though that time is running out, so what blake is saying is that, do not set your expectations too high and just organize a simple event this year and go from there. you will have all of next year to plan out the next one.

Originally Posted by dub81
Uhhh..........Hate to rain on your parade but I hope you have alot of time especially when the season comes around. IF YOU ARE TRULY SERIOUS ABOUT IT, consult with Ted,our AUW Coordinator,and myself for a sit down. When I was soley running it the year i took over for blake, I was totally stressing. Im just putting it out there and letting you know before you committ completely. Not scarring you, just being upfront!!

I forgot to mention that the year after when Ted lent his assistance, then it was smoother sailing as I asked him do the announcements on the day while I just kicked back lol. LOL, Ted, I know you are going to read this. lol
you ok or what? stop scaring the volunteers. lol.

i am not taking all of the credit because walter's main job in this event is to find sponsors for our door prizes and raffle drawings. he took that very seriously and just took this event to another level.

dylan and walter and whoever else wants to come, let's shoot for Wednesday night. Let's meet at Starbucks in Ewa Beach at around 1800?

Walter, lmk if you can make it, because otherwise we need to reschedule.

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 10-10-2011 at 02:04 AM. Reason: not 6am...lol. thx ryan.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
6am?! D:
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 AM

6pm I can do, 6am I'm not sure if I'll be conscious by then haha
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
6am?! D:
it's 1800, can't u see??? lol...thx ryan. are you gonna make it?

6pm I can do, 6am I'm not sure if I'll be conscious by then haha
hahahah...1800 it is.

i am still awaiting for the HIIC ninja for his response. i think he is still in the invisible mode at the moment.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 PM

Wednesday night, 6pm count me in!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Sory guys, Not gonna be able to make it.

Quick Reply: Aloha United Way Car Cruise ?