555 Motorsports (Open Source tuning)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
555 Motorsports (Open Source tuning)

I just wanted to share my experience with Matt from 555 motorsports. As some of you know I had issues with my previous tune. I was very disappointed that my potential 12 second setup was walked on by stock STI's and Legacy's. After running some data logs and watching the record feature on my Defi's I learned my car was not hitting target boost in the lower gears. As a matter of fact I would see barely 17.5 psi 1st thru 3rd gears.

After doing some research I learned of 555 Motorsports.net. I contacted Matt and explained to him my situation and my setup. Basically he explained to me since I was in Hawaii we would be doing the tuning via interenet. For example I tell him what my mods are and he would tailor a map to that setup. He then went on to explain that the tuning would cost $100 for as many maps I needed to finish the tune as I gave him data logs within a 30 day period.

Shortly after he sent me out a base map and I changed out my DTEC to a Hallman boost controller. Once I loaded the first map and set the boost controller all the way down (boost controller was set to lowest position to begin tuning). I immediately notice a drastic difference in the way the turbo spooled and the way I was hitting target boost. With the boost controller set to 0 I was at the mercy of what the stock waste gate solenoid opened up at. After reviewing my data logs and defi recording I quickly noticed that in between each shift (1-3) I gained anywhere from 1 psi to 1.5 psi. As I stated above my previous tune I gained nothing between the shifts. Unfortunately I was not able to finish tuning as many of you know my car was t-boned.

Another thing I would like to mention about Matt is his customer service is top notch. While tuning my wagon swap he help as much as he could over the phone troubleshoot problems that I was having. This is something you would pay a professional mechanic on average a $100 an hour to remedy a problem. On a side note I do not know to many people that give out their personal cell phone number for business related issues.

Finally if you are interested in a open source tune I would recommend you check out Matt at 555motorsports.net

Below is a link on all the software and hardware you would need to conduct an open source reflash.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1410201

www.555motorsports.net
Old 10-12-2008, 10:16 PM
banned

Car Info: .
I've posted elsewhere about how little dyno tuning does for the overall driveability and quickness of a vehicle and have been very delicate about stating my opinions about such matters and have tried to write long technical posts (which I still have somewhere), which have tried to hint to others "try something else."

Keeping that in mind, I think you made the right move by going with a tune that can hold up to scrutiny, that I'm sure idles well, hits boost targets quickly and overall feels quicker than a car that produces a peak figure on a dyno chart.

Also as a side note, the DTEC is actually a good piece of equipment if tuned on the "ROAD." I've also found that switching out the stock bleeder solenoid to an interrupt system, which is like 40 dollars, and retuning the wastegate duty cycles is pretty effective. When we met for the logging, I tried to plant in you the idea of being critical, but I didn't think it would move you to try something else.

Last edited by reid-o; 01-05-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
nice......... reid I was also helping you put it into his head about going a different route then AP. Glad he finally seen the light. I would go this route if my ECU was capable of it tho it is not. hell look at most of the EVO guys. they all just tune there stock ECU's with a tactrix cable and a guy like matt and what he is doing for jess. GL with your new route in your tune jess. LMK if there is anything I can do for ya
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 08 lgt
I'd like to meet up with someone and have someone explain this whole thing to me as this is what I wanna do with my car. Yea some might say read about it, but meh reading wouldn't do me much good as I normally don't hold information that way.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
banned

Yeah I come from a Mitsu/DSM/Honda background. I started out burning chips with EEPROMs. This was before there was even OBDIIs.
That's one thing cool about the EVO/DSM (mostly dsm) guys that Suby guys will never touch. They're total cheap asses, and if it's between buying something and making something or de-engineering something, they'd sit all night and stay home from work to get it to work before they shell out a grand for an Accel DFI or Haltech, which was the go to system back in the day.

Suby guy--it's made out of titanium from the purest of ores
DSM guy--made it myself from a Coke can

Last edited by reid-o; 10-13-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Originally Posted by 808_lgt
I'd like to meet up with someone and have someone explain this whole thing to me as this is what I wanna do with my car. Yea some might say read about it, but meh reading wouldn't do me much good as I normally don't hold information that way.
Im with you on that one. I have an AP now but this seems very interesting as you seem to have a little more options with it.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Originally Posted by reid-o

Suby guy--it's made out of titanium from the purest of ores
DSM guy--made it myself from a Coke can
ohhh sooo true ive been saying open source for awhile too cant go wrong for a 90 cable
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
banned

Originally Posted by ds baruuuuu
ohhh sooo true ive been saying open source for awhile too cant go wrong for a 90 cable

Yeah

Just to clarify though: It's not just the fact that it's cheap and nearly free that makes open source attractive; it's more the idea that, if you don't like your current tune (if you pay someone), you can always alter it yourself and/or find out what was done, whereas you cannot with an AP.
It's the critical part that I think makes it attractive. You can learn as you go, whereas the other way you learn nothing and are at the whim of the tuner.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 AM

Car Info: 02 Bugeye
this sounds pretty interesting. I always wanted to learn how to tune my own car. I think im going to try read up on this
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 AM

Car Info: 05 SUBARU WRX
Thats why I am going open source baby....
Old 10-13-2008, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
for anyone that wants to read more about open source stuff and tuning checkout these sites www.romraider.com and http://plasmatize.com/osecuroms/index.php

there are alot of cool people that will answer alot of question and try and help you out
Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
hmmmmmm open source...hmmmmmmmmmmm gotta fix my computer first!! (hint hint..lol)
Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by alienbreed69
hmmmmmm open source...hmmmmmmmmmmm gotta fix my computer first!! (hint hint..lol)
Warren its a great alternative to the norm i.e cobb ap
Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 08 lgt
Just wanted to state that my experience was great. I love my tune. Big difference from when I first started. Turn around time for maps is less than 48 hours from when you send logs (a few times I got maps within 2 or 3 hours). Matt always calls to check up on how the car is doing. I recommend this guy to anyone looking to go open source.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 2003 Jeep Wrangler 8" lift
Open Source

I dont wanna jack your thread, but I was planning on tuning the PIGSTI open source (from DOM http://getadomtune.com) before I sold it. I was not really happy with my PDX tune and once I talked to Dom about how the car SHOULD feel, I was even less happy. Dont get me wrong, the PDX tune was 1000% better than what the car WAS running, but it just didnt seem right. (Slight stutter around 4500 rpm under partial throttle among other things. Everyone that got a PDX tune had the same issue. The switch between open loop and closed loop???) I would recommend a good open source tune over a Dyno tune ANY day. If I could go back and do it all over I would save myself some money and go open source. Just my $.02, but what do I know, Im just a knuckle dragging, muscle car driving haole.

Quick Reply: 555 Motorsports (Open Source tuning)