2011 WRX/STi oil stuff

Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
Originally Posted by gavinn58
Thanks. There's just so much crap out there about WRXs and oil, TBH it started to make me a little paranoid which is why I started this thread. Just FYI, there seems to be a consensus nationally to stay clear of Costco Mobil 1 in STis, something about it not being fully synthetic and shearing easily compared to other brands and weights. Honestly, I don't really know what to make of it because you have some saying they run it, no problems. I ran it for 70K+ miles in my TSX (understand they're totally different cars) with no problems. As for the filter, a lot of people bashed on the new subaru blue filters since they're made by Honeywell (Fram) but they do support the proper pressure requirements which is why I chose to run them.
that's odd, i cant say ive ever heard that before, but i'll research it now... you've got me curious to know... as for the filters, i guess i look at it from an oem stand point - they picked it's design for a reason, and for now, i'll stick with it too i suppose...

Originally Posted by AcCoRd N wRx Dd
First Hawaiian bank dereck with the white evo x?? He told me one of his friends picked up a bluish Sti recently.
just curious, did he pick up the wrb one? a sedan came in and sold pretty quick (so far one on island)
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what oil/filter to use. As long as you stick to the recommended intervals, you will be fine. People who race their cars run them way harder than you ever can/will and don't have any lubrication problems. I'd be worried about damaging a ring land due to the factory tune and engine design flaws.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by markpaco
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what oil/filter to use. As long as you stick to the recommended intervals, you will be fine. People who race their cars run them way harder than you ever can/will and don't have any lubrication problems. I'd be worried about damaging a ring land due to the factory tune and engine design flaws.
i dont even know if i even fully believe the ringland on just a "stock" car.....

we havent seen one yet.... we have deen faliures due to modding esp with downpipes and no tune. we have also seen it with a very aggressive tune. most ppls say stock now as "my car is stock with just a drop in filter and catback" to almost everyone no a days "stock" for some reason means lightly modded hahaahah
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 AM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza STI
That's me... I work with Derreck at FHB... WRB... picked it up on 12/30 =)
Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
Originally Posted by 11sti808
That's me... I work with Derreck at FHB... WRB... picked it up on 12/30 =)
Nice! I had my hold on that car for a while but decided wrb probably wasn't my color for the long run, so I went swp ... gotta see it in person though! See you on Friday?