09/14/2008 Aloha United Way Charity Cruise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Originally Posted by bpang1
If someone could read this in my place that would be great...if not please all read the following:

HIIC Members I want to thank you all in advance for doing this great event and for continuing to do it for Aloha United Way even though I am no longer in HI.

The work of Aloha United Way is extremely important especially in our current economy.

The most important thing I want you all to understand is that we at United Way work towards solving the underlying problems in our community that cause people to have to use social/government services as well as government aid. By looking at this we understand that we must focus on building blocks such as Education, Income and Health which are the tools that every person needs to live the life that they want to live.

By looking at these building blocks we have come to realize that some of the basic-underlying reasons why we continue to have people stuck in the cycle of poverty, are really things that we can solve. One example is getting our children ready for school. Over 90% of human brain development occurs between the ages of 0-5. These are the same years that most children are not receiving instruction by trained professionals (teachers). We have come to realize that 40% of children IN HAWAII entering kindergarten are 1-2 years behind...the problem is that most of these kids will never catch up. They will either drop out or graduate without the skills they need to get a good job (which puts them right back in the cycle). Did you all know that one of the measurements used to figure out how many prison/jail beds are needed in a city/state is the 3rd grade reading tests? It's scary but also shows you how important early learning is.

At UWs across the nation we use programs such as Born Learning (http://www.bornlearning.org/default.aspx?id=33) which helps to educate parents, grandparents and caregivers on what they need to do to ensure that their child is ready for school. Through programs such as this, over 2,400 children in Hawaii received quality childcare to prepare for kindergarten.

This is just one of the many examples of what AUW is doing the community. I ask that all of you understand a little more not just for your own knowledge but also so that you can be an advocate of making lasting change in our community. The main point for us is that we no longer just treat the symptoms of our community's problems...we figure out how to cure the disease.

For instance, in the past, someone would call us because they are about to be evicted and we would give them emergency rent assistance. Instead of that we continue to help with the intial need (the check) but we also sit down with them and figure out what is going on to put them in this situation and what they can do to get themselves out. Many times we help them to get into an industry that is more lucrative such as healthcare or we help them to figure out how to use their money better. One great thing that we do is to help people do their taxes to get the Earned Income Tax Credit...this has helped us to get a large amount of money back into our communities and we sit down and help the recipients figure out exactly how to use it to better their long-term situation.

In this economy everyone knows that oil prices have affected everything else. We also know that there were many people that were just getting by before this who now have to decide whether they will use their money to pay for gas/bus to go to work OR for food to put on their childrens' plates. As such, many children have their last good meal of the week on Friday at School and their next good meal is on Monday at School. I hope this illustrates why this year it is even more critical that we get your help.

For more information about any of this and about all the other ways your local UW is working to solve the problems in our community please go to the website www.auw.org . Please join me in "Living United" by giving a donation, advocating for lasting change and volunteering in your community.

Blake Pang

P.S. Action Girl is preggo's and is due May 3rd...word to all your mothers.
Thank you for your input, Blake and congratulations! It always helps to hear these from someone from United Way. This cuts the job for us explaining the why's? Great info.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Support a great cause. Have a good time during the cruise. Take a lot of pics.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy 3.0R 3L H-6 RIP :( Hello 09 FXT!
Very informative. Sweet Blake and congrats to the both of you!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
props to those that help organize this event, I'll be there with my family....good job guys/gals...

Blake congrats to both of you cuz!!!push for cinco de mayo, that's a cool bday...haha....
Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
VIP Member

hey guys, i've gotten some inquiries if there will be a west side mini cruise going to CORP. Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Makakilo has a bulk of our active members...it's up to you guys, but I will be leaving Ewa at 0700 because we still have to set up and i want to snag Mark's Kakumei deals at the Swapmeet . On the last cruise we met up at 0745. Either that or you could all head down to CORP on your own.

How about the guys from the east and windward wide of the island???
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
hey guys, i've gotten some inquiries if there will be a west side mini cruise going to CORP. Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Makakilo has a bulk of our active members...it's up to you guys, but I will be leaving Ewa at 0700 because we still have to set up and i want to snag Mark's Kakumei deals at the Swapmeet . On the last cruise we met up at 0745. Either that or you could all head down to CORP on your own.

How about the guys from the east and windward wide of the island???
Haha Corp is in my backyard, so I think I'll meet up there . Ted, I should be there early if you need help setting up. I'll probably come at 7:30 and then go back to pick up the family.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bran808
Haha Corp is in my backyard, so I think I'll meet up there . Ted, I should be there early if you need help setting up. I'll probably come at 7:30 and then go back to pick up the family.
lol, yeah I know, but I just thought I put it out there...we don't really have that much to set up except for the tent, banner, table, chairs...the only thing that will take some time is the registration and sign up part. Other than that, we should be ok. But thanks for offering your help.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Are the Windward folks meeting up beforehand?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Ok guys, I did some land survey and the rain is still around... Got home and did my chanting and RAIN DANCE ceremony and hopefully the GODS will hear my chanting and RAIN RAIN GO AWAY HI YA YA YA HI YA YA YA, COME BACK ANOTHER DAY, HI YA YA YA HI YA YA YA!! :
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub81
Ok guys, I did some land survey and the rain is still around... Got home and did my chanting and RAIN DANCE ceremony and hopefully the GODS will hear my chanting and RAIN RAIN GO AWAY HI YA YA YA HI YA YA YA, COME BACK ANOTHER DAY, HI YA YA YA HI YA YA YA!! :

lol! we'll find out tomorrow...not sure if you did the raindance or the macarena...i heard either way, it works!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 PM

I just went into town to pick Jayden up and it was raining in Waikele and Pearl City, but it cleared up near town side. Hopefully it's just passing.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 PM
VIP Member

Sunday 9/14/08

88°F | 74°F
Sunny
Sunshine and very warm in the morning. Sunshine and very warm in the afternoon. A moonlit sky in the evening. A moonlit sky overnight

Honolulu, HI 96816
Last Updated: 09/14/08 02:30:38 EDT

Rain or shine we are going to the Cruise! Walter, you need to dance all night!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti

Rain or shine we are going to the Cruise! Walter, you need to dance all night!!!
Shake that booty babe, shake that booty babe!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:04 AM

Car Info: Pasoi!
Ocho ocho Ohohooooooo!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:20 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Walt, video tape the dance so we may join in, YouTube it in fact! Ha!

Quick Reply: 09/14/2008 Aloha United Way Charity Cruise.