General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

Trying to finally make dreams come true! 1999 2.5rs version 5 jdm sti wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Car Info: Impreza 2.5rs, 1999
Trying to finally make dreams come true! 1999 2.5rs version 5 jdm sti wanted

Hey all,
First just wanted to say I'm new to all this forum wildness, but figured if I want answers to the questions I have (as some employees aren't always the best of most helpful) truly addressed by experienced people this was the place to do it.

First, I have owned a 1999 2.5rs since the day I could drive, learned on it, love driving it everyday to this day! Upon purchasing it now ages ago I wanted to turbo it immediately as I have always wanted that amazing turbo love and affection to be created but sadly had to put off my dreams as I realized this is indeed pretty expensive!

So, skip 6 or so years, here I am ready to graduate college, trying to make my dreams of being an on the side race car champion come true, and my way of doing that to me, wouldn't be right if I didn't at least give it a shot with my one and only! Subiee all day!

The desired build:

jdm sti version 5 motor and transmission
whatever else is needed for this, and a moderate goal of 300-350 awhp
I want this to be bullet-proof able to take a beating when it needs it, probably more often than not, and still have amazing street drive-ability and reliability. With this post/thread whatever you guys call it, I just want the knowledge anyone should know about doing this ie: who's the best, who's got the best, what makes things work and not work, what actually has to be done to make this happen!

My questions to start are:
Where is the best place to get a motor, I want actual advice from people who've done it please, as they are to me very trust worthy!

Do I have to do any wild customization to make this happen that most wouldn't know about, like: sub-frame modification, and suspension and or piping customization just for the swap install etc.?

Just wanted to thank you all for your time, and I hope you provide good results as I'm serious about making this dream come true, cars are a passion to me and Subaru is truly one of the companies closest to my heart. I finally have the money to make some dreams come true so I want to do it, and do it right!

All advice welcome!

Lastly, sorry for creating such a long message, can't wait to hear back and make this dream a reality once and for all!

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited by miziar; 02-18-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX PREMIUM
You posted in the wrong forum brosef. This is for 2008+ cars.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Car Info: Impreza 2.5rs, 1999
hateee, is it really?! good looks, I'm new to all this forum stuff but trust me that motor is on the way soon just hoping to get some feedback on the how to's and or things I should look out for when doing something like this!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 AM

Car Info: 2013 Kia Forte 5
I would say do a sub frame mod just to be on the safe side. Make sure every part is from a reliable source a family member a friend that knows a friend that has a mod shop. To have a bullet proof engine you must keep every component clean. I would say try a 0.5 diameter cylinder shaving to increase pressure in the cylinders. The engine you describe should fit no problem. If it doesn't it would take extra time to shave off extra material in the engine bay. Since you want a serious track machine invest in a full Tein coil over suspension kit make sure they list track ready or street performance if not both. Get any big turbo kit with an inter cooler a full 3 inch exhaust system. Get racing tread tires for shorter tread life on track or sport tires for wet or dry tarmac. Witch would be balanced out for track or street performance. Make sure every remapped ECU kit is matched to the same stage as your turbo kit,your clutch, your flywheel,your brakes to handle all the power could be either a 13 inch big brake kit from Stop Tech Or a big brake kit from Brembo. Make sure everything run's right on the dyno take it out on the street. If not then reestablish the PSI a perfect boost PSI would be a 10 for the street and a. 14 or 16 for the track. If I didn't answer your question please let me know. I would recommend a trained professional look at your car before you even consider hitting the track. As you don't want to be smashing into anything at any speed higher then 110 KPH. I would suggest a mod center in the USA. Since your doing the build you should choose what parts you want. You should choose brands you trust. Like look up 1999 JDM parts for Subaru 2.5 RS on any high end mod site you should find what your looking for. Like racing builds street builds. All the information is there. You just have to know where to look.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by Driftingismyluv
I would say do a sub frame mod just to be on the safe side. Make sure every part is from a reliable source a family member a friend that knows a friend that has a mod shop. To have a bullet proof engine you must keep every component clean. I would say try a 0.5 diameter cylinder shaving to increase pressure in the cylinders. The engine you describe should fit no problem. If it doesn't it would take extra time to shave off extra material in the engine bay. Since you want a serious track machine invest in a full Tein coil over suspension kit make sure they list track ready or street performance if not both. Get any big turbo kit with an inter cooler a full 3 inch exhaust system. Get racing tread tires for shorter tread life on track or sport tires for wet or dry tarmac. Witch would be balanced out for track or street performance. Make sure every remapped ECU kit is matched to the same stage as your turbo kit,your clutch, your flywheel,your brakes to handle all the power could be either a 13 inch big brake kit from Stop Tech Or a big brake kit from Brembo. Make sure everything run's right on the dyno take it out on the street. If not then reestablish the PSI a perfect boost PSI would be a 10 for the street and a. 14 or 16 for the track. If I didn't answer your question please let me know. I would recommend a trained professional look at your car before you even consider hitting the track. As you don't want to be smashing into anything at any speed higher then 110 KPH. I would suggest a mod center in the USA. Since your doing the build you should choose what parts you want. You should choose brands you trust. Like look up 1999 JDM parts for Subaru 2.5 RS on any high end mod site you should find what your looking for. Like racing builds street builds. All the information is there. You just have to know where to look.
Wtf did I just read? It's like it was typed in pig Latin hahaha! Someone plays too much grand turismo.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Originally Posted by SR20steve

Wtf did I just read? It's like it was typed in pig Latin hahaha! Someone plays too much grand turismo.
Seemed very straight forward and clear to me.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Shaving material off of the car to fit a motor? LMFAO! My motor was too big so I milled off a couple hundred thousandths off the engine bay to make sure it cleared. And I went with some racing tread tires to decrease my tread life....