Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

what to believe about headers and pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 03:44 PM

Car Info: impreza 2.5rs
what to believe about headers and pulleys

hey whats up , i was wondering what mod to get next on my car, here is a list of mods that i have now power wise.

apexi n1 catback, clutch masters stage 3 , jun flywheel, injen cold air intake ,

i know that you guys recommend turbo , but right now i cant go turbo , cuz i had to do my suspension first cuz it was shot , and im not goin to put all this power into my car if that suspension cant hold it. so i have been thinking about headers , but people say they are a waste of money and no gains . Then i was told to get pulleys, but now people are telling me that the pulleys will wwear out my motor and kill it and its not worth it. whats to do , i dont know what to believe anymore
Old 02-26-2003, 10:05 PM

i dont have a rex, i have an impreza 2.5rs from 99
Old 03-05-2003, 12:23 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Bolt ons work, just you have to buy the right ones. Borlas do squat, ganzflows are not the biggest gains... But something like a Cobb intake with an MRT full exhaust = definatly noticable gains without a dyno. Pulleys are also noticable too of course, as will be cams and a flywheel.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:04 PM
NASIOC Slut

Originally posted by Forestar
Yes you will notice, but your pocket will notice too. A basic intake and Borla/Muffler are pretty cheap and don't get in the way of anything in the engine bay. MRT headers are like $1000+ and the Cobb intake will give you like maybe 5 more HP than the Ganz. For the price of those two, your almost close to getting a turbo kit. It depends if you want to pay two times as much for 10HP more. You'll get more HP taking extra weight off the car. Plus those gains aren't going to help you much off the line
WTF are you talking about? A FULL MRT N/A system = $600, headers and cat are only $400... ??? $600 plus 250 for the cobb and trow in some $150 pulleys = 20 more hp than stock for under $1000, thats cheap. I get alot of my stuff used for alot less though...
Old 03-08-2003, 04:50 PM

why are pulley's bad though, people still keep telling me that
Old 03-08-2003, 10:35 PM
NASIOC Slut

Originally posted by Imprezzive
why are pulley's bad though, people still keep telling me that
Well I am here now telling you otherwise. I do recomend stock sized lightweight pulleys though as opposed to underdrivin.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by Kostamojen
Well I am here now telling you otherwise. I do recomend stock sized lightweight pulleys though as opposed to underdrivin.
That's the difference- lightweight pulleys can help, but underdrive can cause problems.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:06 PM
NASIOC Slut

No I dont, just email Langston Subaru. Here is the responce I got when I asked them how much the MRT headers and Cat were:

Hi Steve, A header/cat is about $400 freight should be around $45-$50,
they
are pretty bulky. Give me some to to get from MRT, I'm out and they
take a
while to get. Thanks

Brian McKinney
Parts Manager
http://www.langstonspeed.com
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/brochures.htm
LANGSTON SUBARU
4916 William Penn Hwy
Monroeville, PA 15146
1-877-563-4WDS
I think the midpipe is another $50 and the muffler another $150, or at least you can buy the muffler elsewhere for under $150 as I saw a post over on NASIOC of someone selling that muffler individually for cheap as nails, but personally i'd go with another muffler or a custom midpipe/muffler with the MRT header/cat combo.

Quick Reply: what to believe about headers and pulleys