Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Turbo'ing an 06 2.5i

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza 2.5i
Turbo'ing an 06 2.5i

Alright before anyone gets back and starts calling me a noob or telling me to do some research, I have been reading forums for awhile and have not found an answer. I would like to turbo my 2006 2.5i. Is it possible to use aftermarket exhaust manifolds, up-pipes, down-pipes, exhausts, also use oil cooled turbos made for WRX's? i understand there is a lot of tuning involved too. And im NOT expecting 300whp after either, all this is for is a saturday night cruiser/show car. I was planning on running about 6psi. I would be happy with 200hp at the crank. a lot of posts say the bottom end would not hold the power, would a stock WRX shortblock bolt between my SOHC heads? also dont say anything about voiding warranties, because this will be after it has expired. and nothing about you should have bought an STi because im sorry i could not afford the $7000 a year for insurance. So does a low boosting turbo sound like it would work?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Turbo'ing an 06' 2.5i is possible, as is turbo'ing pre 06' 2.5rs's.
The only thing I'd worry about, is the reliability of running 6psi, on a 2.5l NA engine meant only for NA. What I have heard from others, is that our NA engines can barely hold 6 psi for DD or tracking. A direct engine swap would be an option for you though.
If you are looking for 200hp crank, it is quite possible to do it with only NA modifications, and a tune. It just takes some extra $$$ to do it.

But hey, you'd be the first one to have an 06' 2.5i turbocharged
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 AM

the only thing im concerned with an engine swap is the fact that with the SOHC motors they use an AVLS (active valve lift system) and the turbo DOHC motors have a AVCS (active variable cam system i think). the AVLS is much like VTEC in Hondas and AVCS is like VVT in Toyotas. i believe both systems are controlled by oil pressure but they must still have an electronic control from the ecu. So swapping the motor would also require a full engine harness swap and a ecu from the donor car. im just not positive of everything that is required or needs to be done.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
In all honesty, I'd probably be just as expensive to do a swap and almost assuredly more reliable. I've personally never been one for turboing Subaru's NA motors but I've seen it done quite a few times.