Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

turbo charging a 2.2 or swap to a 2.5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 AM

Car Info: impreza 2.2 1995
Question turbo charging a 2.2 or swap to a 2.5?

alright heres the deal, my subaru is a STOCK EJ22. ive talked to a couple of my friends and they say besides the up and down tube im going to need forged pistons. do they make forged pistons for my car?

heres my other a option. An EJ25 swap. now i have found turboed ej25 motors for my car but will it fit? and what car would it be best to get it out of? i was thinking of getting the motor out of a 95 or somewhere around that year.

has anyone done this before
Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 AM

Car Info: impreza 2.2 1995
i forgot to add in the first part about not having a intercooler. besides all my piping what else do i need?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Sell your car. Buy a WRX. Cheaper.

If you want to turbo your 2.2, the kit is going to run you $3k, $3.5k, not to mention that your car won't be able to boost past 5 or 6 psi reliably. You could also do a WRX swap. Rolled WRX runs y ou $3, 4, 5k+. And swap that sucker in. Keep in mind that putting in the drivetrain isn't the hard part. The thing that kills everyone is the wiring.

You'll need all the parts, the turbo, up pipe, down pipe, piggy back-ecu, intercooler, and probably a bunch of other parts. And you won't be able to boost more than 5 or 6 psi.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Car Info: was a 02 wrx now a beast
yeah he is right unless you can do all your own fab on your car and have a hook up on a piggy back or a stand alone. I would say do a swap or just buy the wrx. Do you guys have to smog in PA? If not you might be able to get away with a early wrx swap for a good price. I would get ahold of East coast swapers and they can give you a good rundown on pricing and how much work goes into the swap. even if you do all the work yourself exept for wiring it can still be very expencive.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 AM

Car Info: 1996 impreza 60 trim, 8psi 201 whp, 213 tq 200k mi
Bull****, i turboed my 2.2 for less then 1K and make 172 whp (that is stock wrx territory but faster because its alot lighter) and 208 tq, dont let these fools discourage you, they have no idea what they are talking about. the only management ive been running (for the last 40K miles) is a rising rate FPR and larger injectors. woopty freakin do, thats maybe 200 bucks if you look in the right place.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Here's some info in short...

Turbo any NA subaru motor 1.8, 2.2, 2.5, etc. and it is a ticking time bomb. The motor will pop in no time and you'll be out more money and more money wasted. If I were you I would get a wrx swap at the very least since it will be ALOT more reliable and alot more efficient. There's a handful of good shops in your area ie Area 1320 & ECS (East Coast Swappers.) They're pretty good on the costs of swapping...normally what the turbo kit would cost you and the swap won't look ghetto like turbo kitted cars do.

http://www.eastcoastswappers.com
http://www.area1320.com

Research them on www.rs25.com greaaat place for us GC folk. Below is a list of shops around the US that do swaps.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63515

My personal 98RS was swapped by LIC Motorsports
Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by AWDimprezaL
Bull****, i turboed my 2.2 for less then 1K and make 172 whp (that is stock wrx territory but faster because its alot lighter) and 208 tq, dont let these fools discourage you, they have no idea what they are talking about. the only management ive been running (for the last 40K miles) is a rising rate FPR and larger injectors. woopty freakin do, thats maybe 200 bucks if you look in the right place.
NTIA to turbo kitted cars. Stock NA motors don't have the strength to be pushed very far. Some people are lucky to last as long as you have and some have popped within a few days. The thing is most people want to keep pushing power because they love the feel of it and are naturally curious so generally they'll keep pushing the envelope to find the motors boundries and get as much power as possible. I'm just saying for safety, reliability, and overall long term costs a wrx swap at the least is best IMO. Great thing for me is that I'm smog legal with a ref sticker and it pretty much saves my butt from going to the refs if a cop thinks I'm aftermarket.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:48 AM

i just did a compression test on mine, its fine, 175 lbs each cyl no variance at all. i see where you are coming from, but the popping n/a turboed subys is a myth, you just have to know what you are doing, when and when not to beat the **** out of it, change your oil, run good fuel, ect ect, if you have no self controll then no, a turbo n/a isnt the setup for you. the 2.2 is the most durable engine subaru made, i contribute this to why mine has lasted so long.

the 2.0l wrx engine is an open deck block just like all the other n/a subaru engines, the only advantage you have with that (speaking in terms of the block only) is the fact that it has lower comp pistons, most 2.2s have a fairly boost freindly comp ratio of 9.5:1.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 AM

Thats the thing...most people won't be so educated or disciplined enough not to beat the **** out of their motor. They WILL be tempted by speed...trust me...you've been there I'm sure and it happens to me too lol. Also parts are easier to come by for the 2.0L depending on where you are or even through the boards too. I just don't see the point in taking the chance when I know I can have reliability/more safe power in the long run for the same costs if not a few bucks more.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 AM

thats true, the only reason i turboed this engine was to kill it before i swapped in my t-leg engine, but it hasnt died, so im trying to see how long i can keep it alive for.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM

lol go for it man.
T- Leg I'm assuming the 2.2L Turbo'd version huh? I'd really like to have an old 91ish Legacy 2.2L Turbo
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 AM

I have a friend that works at a subaru shop and he has told me on some rebuilds for the ej22 N/A he has seen a few with the closed deck ej22t block. (maby subaru used them in a few hundred as a left over block. and maby you got realy lucky and already have a ej22t block in your impreza. but as for the cheapest most reliable way If you dont have to smog go to East Coast swapers I just got a quote for 2100 for a jdm ej20g motor and wiring if i bring them all the harnesses. If you are willing to put in all the work on doing the swap excluding the wiring I think this would be the way to go. you would be in about 2500 (I would get a gasket set and reseal everything) and you sould have a 50k mile or less turbo motor with 245hp. that is prity damn good for your light *** car.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM

nope my block is most def an open deck block, the closed decks ONLY came in the turbo legacy, and they are no longer available (i also work at subaru dealer)
Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 PM

like a said they have been seen in the N/A cars befor. Are you sure I was just told I could still order one form subaru last week for 1900. that was just for the bock though.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:23 AM

they never checked availability, they just priced it for you, there havent been any available since about march of 2003, here i'll look.....

Quick Reply: turbo charging a 2.2 or swap to a 2.5?