Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Turbo on a 2.5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
i think this is still SOHC, but 9.8 CR. 00-01 is SOHC with 10.0 CR. I believe MY98 is a DOHC with 8.x - 9.x CR. I think MY98 is the most ideal to do force induction because it's lower CR and DOHC.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
First off, sorry bud but you don't actually have a GC8 unless you imported it. That's the model code for a real WRX sedan. If you have a coupe (which I think was all that was available as an RS in '99) you have a GM6, which is a 2-door with EJ25. Don't worry though, 99% of folks call the old style GC8 regardless of how many doors or what motor it actually has. To double check, the code will be the 4th, 5th, and 6th digits of your VIN.

Yes, you can turbo your car without much problem, but avoid using intakes, AFAIK they still kill MAFs. Shiv killed 2 in the process of building the SCC Minnam kit car, and no longer uses them when he tunes other cars. I haven't seen anything about Minnam since that article came out, they either folded or simply have zero internet presence. Most of the guys with turbo EJ25s have either Ludespeed kits (who happens to have temporarily stopped taking orders due to lack of demand or home-brewed mixed bags of parts.) Personally, I am hoping Ludespeed comes back to the life before I am able to afford a turbo. I have heard much good about them, both products and service. Also, Vishnu might yet put together another EJ25 turbo group buy, but it's doubtful as Shiv has his hands full with all the WRX customers these days.

As far as model year, they all have pros and cons that even them out. The higher compression of later years actually makes them more powerful if properly tuned, while they also lack the frail MAFs.

As far as the STi motor, it's definitely not an EJ25, but may not be an enlargened EJ20 either. Signs point to being a new evolution of one or the other, but no official word, at least not on this site yet.

Anyways, enjoy that car, it's one of the greatest you will ever own for the money. It's really hard to go wrong with it, whatever it is you plan on getting out of it.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
I posted this a while back, but didn't catch much of the attention... I have the 2004 buchure already

http://people.ucsc.edu/~virus/Top-MY04WRX.htm

Originally posted by BAN SUVS
As far as the STi motor, it's definitely not an EJ25, but may not be an enlargened EJ20 either. Signs point to being a new evolution of one or the other, but no official word, at least not on this site yet.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:32 PM

Yeah, we have seen the displacement and power, but nobody seems to know the engine code or the lineage of the new motor. Who is that monster's daddy?
Old 01-21-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by N/A
I've got Shivs old SCC turbo kit. Minnam broke up years ago and from what I remember one of the owners of the old company reopened with a new company name. If your going to turbo your car you will want to look for a quality standalone ECU so you can lose the MAF and tune it better. Not to mention upgrade the injectors and fuel pressure without running way too rich. If you want take a look on www.rs25.com for some other GM6 owners.
Yeah, what he said.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:55 PM

http://www.ludespeed.com/

w00t! Feb. 1st, new orders will be taken for us RS folks.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:12 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
i have a 2.5 rs 2002, now can that have a turbo put onto it?
Like the one from forced air tech, i have seen the kit.
The reason i am asking is a talked to a guy who owns a shop that works on cars rebuilds, repairs and what not, (not as hobby,as a job), he told me that the engine i have is not designed for a turbo, it may be bigger then a wrx's, but it was not designed for the higher compresion ratios that a turbo produces(designed from the factory,engineered). he said that if i did it, the car would go like a bastard for like 50 60k then something would give, burn out, or just blow apart. Is this true.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:47 PM

The real reliability issue with a turbo/blown/nitroused EJ25 is controlling detonation. This motor is pretty good at it as engines go. But yeah, 50-60k with 250-280 hp will take it's toll on the moving parts. Basically, expect to do your basic engine rebuild then, only you would use the opportunity to upgrade many parts- stronger rods, pistons, better valves, etc. Running a turbo motor is all about keeping it tuned and under control. Along with detonation (knock or ping) you also need to keep your exhaust gas temperatures in check. There are people here who can tell you almost everything you need to know to run your turbo right.

As for vendors, I would recommend Ludespeed if you are looking for a stage III kit. Both Ludespeed and Forced Air Tech stage III kits are $4295, but the Ludespeed kit includes a Link ECU, while the Forced Air has a piggy-back "black box" which isn't as tuneable. Both companies seem to have good reputations in this community however.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:42 AM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
i have been reading about the different parts, but i would like to see exactly what it all looks like, it sounds kinda dumb, but i always wanted to see like a print of it, uasally if i see all the parts,
like an exploded view. I am just trying to understand the whole aspect of how it runs, and why, once i know this to a tee, then i will fool around with maybe getting one, if the turbo puts such a strain on the engine in the long run, how does the wrx fair, will you get 120000 out of it or will it evetualy come apart, because if that is the case then i might as well go out and get the new srt neon, with the turbo in it..... just kidding. My freind works at a dealership, and him, me and the rest of the guys think that it is the next coffin on wheels.

Quick Reply: Turbo on a 2.5?