Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

problem - fluctuating rpm at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 06:11 AM

problem - fluctuating rpm at idle

So yesterday afternoon when I turned on my car my idle speed started fluctuating like crazy; from 1.7 K-> .8 -1.7. It did this once in the winter and stalled. Btw this is an automatic 02 RS - only modifications are ganzflow intake and eibach prokit springs

any ideas why? is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks all

btw also posted at the OTHER forum
Old 03-29-2003, 12:46 PM

bump!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:47 PM

you might want to check all conections from the plug wires to plugs and plug wires to coil pack terminals. make sure they're all corosion free. i know your car is new but better safe than sorry. bad plug wire equals a bad coil pack equals misfireing equals $250.00. what is bump anyway?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:55 PM

you might want to check all conections from the plug wires to plugs and plug wires to coil pack terminals. make sure they're all corosion free. i know your car is new but better safe than sorry. bad plug wire equals a bad coil pack equals misfireing equals $250.00. what is bump anyway?
i dont supose u could detail this a little more... (car newbie and im dumb heh)

anyways a bump is the process of moving a thread back to the top of the listings - bumped up to the top
Old 04-05-2003, 01:18 AM

Car Info: 2.5rs with Eighteens!!!lol
It's probably just a symptom of the intake you fitted...the car is reading a slightly greater-than-factory volume of air coming into the intake, and this may in turn "fool" the intake air temp sensor into reading a slightly colder air intake temperature due to slightly non-OEM exaggerated fluctuations in air flow, thus causing a slightly higher idle and idle-air-control response to certain "perceived" variants. I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't moderately correct itself over a period of a couple months...
Old 04-05-2003, 08:26 AM

It's probably just a symptom of the intake you fitted...the car is reading a slightly greater-than-factory volume of air coming into the intake, and this may in turn "fool" the intake air temp sensor into reading a slightly colder air intake temperature due to slightly non-OEM exaggerated fluctuations in air flow, thus causing a slightly higher idle and idle-air-control response to certain "perceived" variants. I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't moderately correct itself over a period of a couple months...
that seems logical but ive never heard of anyone talk about this? its a ganzflow btw on an 02 (not 98 or whatever year had a map sensor)
Old 04-06-2003, 08:00 AM

the ganz flow you still uses the stock air box above the throttle body right? so fluctuating air pulses shouldn't be a problem. that only happens when you remove the entire stock intake including the air box up stream of the throttle body. still say check for corrosion at both ends of the plug wires, spark plugs and terminals on the coil pack.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 2.5rs with Eighteens!!!lol
Actually the 98 thru 99 RS used a MAF sensor, and after that the normally aspirated models use a MAP sensor which has a more difficult time compensating for greater volumes of air (why do you think the turbo models still use an MAF ?)...so perhaps this would add some additional information to your final conclusion...
Old 04-08-2003, 11:07 AM

dont know if your last response was directed tward me, but who is talking about turbos?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
i had something similar in the past. But I think it was due to bad gas because after two tanks I was back to normal..

Quick Reply: problem - fluctuating rpm at idle