i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/)
-   -   My car keeps overheating! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/my-car-keeps-overheating-34076/)

adj789 10-08-2003 09:22 PM

My car keeps overheating!

I don't know what's going on! I have a 2.5RS that just hit 80,000 miles on the ODO. It tends to heat up when I'm stopped and cool off when I'm moving but then it stopped doing that a just started smoking and spewing coolant everywhere! This really sucks, I have no money so I can't take it to Subaru right now. Anyone know what the deal is here?

Daredevil 10-08-2003 11:55 PM

hmm
thats hecka weird.
hve you changed radiator fluid lately? caps on secure? im no car guru so i cna't help otu really :(

DoomE.Q. 10-09-2003 04:52 PM

If the radiator is shot a C&R performance RS radiator is always a good investment..... I'd take it to the dealer or your most reliable service professional ASAP.

-DE

Kevin M 10-09-2003 07:20 PM

Re: My car keeps overheating!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by adj789 [/i]
[B] It tends to heat up when I'm stopped and cool off when I'm moving but then it... [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds like your fan stopped working. Troubleshoot the fan circuit before you replace the radiator. There's a good chance you only overflowed the reservoir instead of actually breaking anything.

Billy Baru 10-09-2003 10:28 PM

Re: Re: My car keeps overheating!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BAN SUVS [/i]
[B]Sounds like your fan stopped working. Troubleshoot the fan circuit before you replace the radiator. There's a good chance you only overflowed the reservoir instead of actually breaking anything. [/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, the thermostat could be the culprit for the electrical end.

Kevin M 10-10-2003 01:18 AM

The thermostat doesn't directly run the fan in an OBDII car. The water temp sensor is responsible for that. The ECU turns on the fan when the temp gets to a certain point. (Or the AC is on)

Imprezer 10-10-2003 01:36 AM

It could also be a headgasget. A simple compression test will show you if it is the case.

ImprezaVA 10-10-2003 05:10 AM

overheating

[QUOTE]It could also be a headgasget. A simple compression test will show you if it is the case.[/QUOTE] This is the first thing that crossed my mind. What year is your car? Also, what year did Subaru start making the 4 layer head gasket?

-Charles-

killer2.2 11-06-2003 07:00 PM

turn the a/c on to see if the fan works if the fan works try to flush the radator by a professional to see if there is any blockage if you over heated it two much it woulded of cracked the block check under the car where the head connects to the block for leakage

babu 11-11-2003 09:53 AM

Blown head gaskets. Run a coolant pressure test to determine. Look for oil in coolant overflow bottle.

This subject needs to be a central topic on this Forum for EJ25 DOHC owners to keep them informed.

sd70feb 11-16-2003 03:29 PM

i agree babu