Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

How likely is it that this engine is toast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan
How likely is it that this engine is toast?

Okay, I have a line on a super cheap Forester. 98 Forester S to be exact. Here's the copy of the workorder from the shop.

Towed in. Customer reports driving on the highway and started hearing a rattling noise. Then the engine died and customer was able to coast to the shoulder. The tow truck company tried to turn the engine over but a clackity clack and then a bang sounded. Smoke also came out from under hood. Showed signs of oil dripping onto the floor. Oil was changed about a week ago.

(1) Inspection found timing belt damage and not turning cam shafts.
(2) Oil level is good but coolant level is low. There is oil at front of engine.
(3) Need to verify condition of engine before determining repair.
The shop recommended

Replace timing belt and perform cylinder leak down test to verify condition of engine.
One of the techs that worked on it suggested that if I replaced the timing belt, the engine could be fine, but there's a good chance it's doomed as well. A timing belt will only set me back an afternoon and about 60 dollars, but would I be wasting my time by not finding an engine instead?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:40 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Sounds toast.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 AM

Car Info: 1995 GX Wagon AWD EJ18
Theres probably a good reason the dealer doesn't want to tackle the simple job of repairing the timing belt themselves

You have to ask yourself why the timing belt snapped in the first place. If it wasn't due to excessive milage on the belt then it might have been from an overheated/ceasing engine due to low coolant.

Also check whether this is a non-interference or interference engine. If the later you'll also be looking at changing bent valves.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Car Info: 98 forester L (project) 00 2.5rs coupe, 94 civic
Originally Posted by estrada42
Okay, I have a line on a super cheap Forester. 98 Forester S to be exact. Here's the copy of the workorder from the shop.

The shop recommended

One of the techs that worked on it suggested that if I replaced the timing belt, the engine could be fine, but there's a good chance it's doomed as well. A timing belt will only set me back an afternoon and about 60 dollars, but would I be wasting my time by not finding an engine instead?
tell the customer ill buy the car off him...