Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp with CAI & SRI

Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Sedan
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp with CAI & SRI

Hey I am looking to add a little performance and sound to my 07 2.5i and am looking to add a CAI or SRI, so after doing some research I am finally down to 3 options.

Option 1: Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake
Street Tuning Auto Piece BMW Performance Parts - COSMO Racing

Option 2: Cosmo Racing Short Ram Intake
Street Tuning Auto Piece BMW Performance Parts - COSMO Racing

Option 3: Secret Weapon Weapon R
2007 Subaru Impreza Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake

My car will be in Reno, Nv for school which will be in practically constant snow and rain in the winter so I am a little hesitant with a Cold Air Intake because of the risk of getting water in my engine. Any thoughts on a cold air intake in snow? Does anyone have any personal experience with the Weapon R on their car? How is it? And any fans of SRI's?

Which one do you guys think I should go with?

Thanks a lot for your help, it is much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
None of them. Google "Hybrid intake".

And anyone who hydrolocks a car with a CAI it's due to their own negligence.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
Just get a K&N or similar drop in filter.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Any recommendation on any of the three? Thanks again
Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
Get the first one, it is probably going to give you the coolest air, best chance to suck water into your engine, nice ricer looks, and probably sound just like the Honda you should be driving.

I lived in the Tahoe area for 19 of my 31 years of life, have fun in the winter with any CAI style intake system.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
Google can be your best friend. Just search up cold air intake vs SRI and go from there after you look at the pros and cons.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
The short answer is that they all "suck" and you won't gain any power. If you want to hear the car buy an exhaust and enjoy the rumble. I believe Borla headers are popular with N/A boxer owners?

Cold air intakes will suck up water and permanently ruin your motor and SRIs are termed "hot-air intakes" for good reason. Not to mention the stock intake box doesn't restrict airflow.

Last edited by Gancherov; 07-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by bnassssty
Any recommendation on any of the three? Thanks again
I already answered your question......
Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by faraco3
Get the first one, it is probably going to give you the coolest air, best chance to suck water into your engine, nice ricer looks, and probably sound just like the Honda you should be driving.

I lived in the Tahoe area for 19 of my 31 years of life, have fun in the winter with any CAI style intake system.

^you are an idiot who thinks you're funny. People go on forums to learn and ask questions. Why don't you actually help people or get a life instead of looking at threads to demean people.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I'm gonna play the nice guy and say I would go with a short ram intake for your car, you won't really see any gains but you will get some nice sound out of the engine.

I hope this helps, go with a borla header and sti catback also!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by bnassssty
^you are an idiot who thinks you're funny. People go on forums to learn and ask questions. Why don't you actually help people or get a life instead of looking at threads to demean people.
Hey, you're the one who came here asking for something for nothing. The "community" is willing to help folks who need it, but only when those folks show initiative and the willingness to help themselves. The info you asked for is VERY readily available if you had made an effort to go and find it, instead you asked the community to do all the research work for you and give you a report on which part is the best. Then you ignored the advice you were given and asked the SAME question again (which you would not have done if you had read the responses, considered the advice and looked for evidence, or god forbid tried a google search).

And now you're surprised that someone mocked you?

If you had used your eyes (to search) instead of your mouth (to beg) no one would be flaming you. Why make it worse by complaining about the ONE rude comment someone made.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Lets get along guys, this isnt nasioc lol. But my opinion is avoid both cai and sri's. Had the cosmo sri on my impreza and I learned the hard way, i lost power not to mention overheating and a clogged throttle body. Went back to stock with a AEM filter and got much more response. Our cars just hate aftermarket intakes!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
wow.. I'm retarded... damn guy above me bumped and old thread and I didnt realize it until I typed this whole damn thing... oh well... heres some info!

I've had a SRI and my neighbor has a CAI. If you aren't getting tuned for it then you aren't going to benefitting from it. Most likely you will run rich between shifts. Thats what happened to me. I ended up doing the snorkel delete and putting a K&N drop in filter which gave me more air without the rich shift problems. I'd recommend going SRI if you are actually going to go CAI/SRI and making or purchasing a box for it otherwise you will just suck in hot air form the engine compartment. If you go CAI you would be good for summer but would have to switch to SRI or stock for winter so it doesn't get clogged from water and damage your engine which my neighbor experienced so you'd actually have to buy both SRI and CAI to do that unless you wanted to keep your stock one to use for winter. So I see you being better off getting a SRI or doing a drop in with snorkel delete

Last edited by esousa22; 06-05-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by esousa22
wow.. I'm retarded... damn guy above me bumped and old thread and I didnt realize it until I typed this whole damn thing... oh well... heres some info!

I've had a SRI and my neighbor has a CAI. If you aren't getting tuned for it then you aren't going to benefitting from it. Most likely you will run rich between shifts. Thats what happened to me. I ended up doing the snorkel delete and putting a K&N drop in filter which gave me more air without the rich shift problems. I'd recommend going SRI if you are actually going to go CAI/SRI and making or purchasing a box for it otherwise you will just suck in hot air form the engine compartment. If you go CAI you would be good for summer but would have to switch to SRI or stock for winter so it doesn't get clogged from water and damage your engine which my neighbor experienced so you'd actually have to buy both SRI and CAI to do that unless you wanted to keep your stock one to use for winter. So I see you being better off getting a SRI or doing a drop in with snorkel delete
good thing you read what kind of car the OP has. that would suck if they didnt even have a turbo.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by flat489
good thing you read what kind of car the OP has. that would suck if they didnt even have a turbo.
Sometimes, its more important to just say anything at all rather than something helpful. Apparently, this is also one of those times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp with CAI & SRI