Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Borla Headers & Stromung Axleback....WHERE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
Need help finding Borla Headers & Stromung exhaust!!!

where can i find borla UEL headers and a stromung axleback or catback exhaust for my 05 impreza 2.5 RS. Ive been searching around and just cant seem to find any place that has them online...maybe im just not looking hard enough..

also whats the difference between the stromung axleback and stromung catback exhaust? and does single or dual tip matter? ive heard that the axleback brings out more of the boxer sound...maybe im wrong..

sorry im a newbie, any info would be great and help a lot!

UPDATE: WHERE DO I FIND STROMUNG CAT BACK EXHAUST AND BORLA UEL HEADERS?!?

Last edited by subie23; 10-12-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 PM

any help?!? anything!!?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Try these...Between these I have been able to find anything and everything for my WRX and at least to me would also be great places for your RS. However, do keep in mind that non-turbo Subarus (unfortunately) have really really poor aftermarket support. Some things it might be possible no one ever tried making simply because there was never any great demand...

http://www.renickmotorsports.com/oscommerce/catalog/

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...7ca1e200e19e39

http://www.oakos.com/

http://importimageonline.com/imagepr...b7f8eede1492e4

http://www.fastwrx.com/
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 PM

thanks for the help on the websites!

do you know the main difference between axle back compared to cat back? cause i can't really find much info on axle backs and it seems like cat backs are what is mostly popular with every car when adding on an aftermarket exhaust...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by subie23
thanks for the help on the websites!

do you know the main difference between axle back compared to cat back? cause i can't really find much info on axle backs and it seems like cat backs are what is mostly popular with every car when adding on an aftermarket exhaust...
Welcome to the tuning world I remember the good ol' days when I was starting out...

Cat back simply means the product replaces everything after the catalytic converters, which are located on your down-pipe. So you get 2 pieces, the mid-pipe and muffler/axle back...

Axle back simply means you are only replacing your muffler with that little bit of piping that connects to the mid-pipe. So you get only 1 piece. Mid-pipe usually had a resonator in it, which gives your stock exhaust such a quite note. By removing it you increase the air flow resulting in louder exhaust and better performance.

http://www.fastwrx.com/rearorcatex.html

Let me know if this helps...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM

thanks for the help man. would you recommend getting a catback or axleback? i have a 05 2.5rs which is the only problem cause its so hard to find aftermarket parts for these...but also im going mainly for the nice deep boxer grumble that the wrx/sti's get if that helps with deciding which type of exhaust to get...
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM

General fact...The boxer grumble actually comes from the un-equal length exhaust header that comes stock with subarus, so if you are crazy enough to switch to an equal lenght piece your car will sound like a honda (and for me no amount of power gains is worth that)

Get the a full cat back...that way you will see improved performance and if you decide to do anything other modding in the future, you will already have exhaust part taken care off to take full advantage of new found potential power...There is a reason no one really makes exle backs, they need to follow and connect to the stock midpipe's restrictive path design, so even the best muffler will give you very little gain...So you are paying for looks and slightly better sound. And like I said, if you do any other future modding, you will need to upgrade to a full cat back
Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 2015 DGM WRX STI Limited
boxer4racing.com has everything ur looking for. that's where i got my stromung dual tip.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:42 PM

There is a Stromung 2.5”dual tip catback on sale below...Check out if it fits your bill

https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/garage-sale-catback-exhaust-downpipe-turbo-inlet-injectors-etc-191890/
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM

thanks for the help guys. would you guys get the dual tip or the 3.5" single tip or is it mainly preference?

Last edited by subie23; 10-02-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by subie23
thanks for the help guys. would you guys get the dual tip or the 3.5" single tip or is it mainly preference?
I am guessing the single tip is going to be slightly louder that the dual tip...I never heard theirs side by side, but I know the Borla "hush" (dual tip) and Borla XR-1 (single tip) which are pretty much the same exhaust are like that...In the end it will be more preference than performance or sound...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 PM

i heard that the stromung gives a meaner boxer sound. but have you heard any good things about the sound quality and performance and overall quality of the borla hush or borla xr-1 exhausts?