Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX
Red face Suggestions needed

Just bought an 06 WRX with Subarus intake exhaust and short throw shifter. Lovin it! Looking to beef up performance and am having a hard time deciding wich way to go. Since most places I look have WRX parts for the 2.0 and the 06 has the 2.5 im confused as to which aftermarket parts to go with and which ones really make a difference and which ones are all talk. If anyone with some head knowledge about the 06 WRx could offer me some sage advise you would have my thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:14 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
A lot of vendors will specify which parts are for what year. If you are looking for a good first mod, I would go with the cobb AP. You can go to cobbtuning.com and check it out - its around 645 I think for an 06 manual. It basicly is a tune for your engine, and allows you the flexibility to upgrade various parts on your car and then load in the propper engine map (according to the parts on your car) to allow your engine run optimaly.

After the cobb AP I would go w/ a cobb high flow cat downpipe and then load in the stage 2 engine map, and then if you have the $ get a protune, which is a feature that the cobb AP offers; individual tuners can utilize software to make your car a custom engine map since no two cars are alike, and thus require slightly different tunes.

Also, for a bit of fun, a good non engine related mod would be front and rear anti sway bars w/ new endlinks. I just did those on mine, and its a pretty noticeable difference . Hope that helps for starters.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I put the Cobb AP on my 06 TR and it made a pretty good difference. I am about to put on the Helix up pipe and down pipe finishing the exhaust and STi pink springs, Cusco rear sway bar, and helix end links. Once I get those on I will let you know.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR
hmm....i got an 06 wrx tr as well and im wonderin which mod to get first my exhaust or cobb AP...any suggestions
Old 08-05-2006, 10:42 PM

Car Info: 06' Subaru IMPREZA WRX FP18g
Smile

Originally Posted by DTO808
hmm....i got an 06 wrx tr as well and im wonderin which mod to get first my exhaust or cobb AP...any suggestions
go with the AP as ur first mod.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Originally Posted by lburrrna
go with the AP as ur first mod.
+100 That would be a great first mod.
If you have a aftermarket CAI lose it and go back to the stock CAI.
In my opnion COBB is one of the best vendors ever but,
their are alot of vendors to choice from just pick one that
is reputable.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:38 AM

yeah im here in hawaii but from wat i hear the cobb AP is the better mod but i want exhaust for the sound...love it on the wrx
Old 08-06-2006, 05:46 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I think you should base your first mod off of how much money you have to spend. I don't suggest installing a cat-back without doing the downpipe at the same time, you just wind up making more work for yourself. you don't NEED an accessport right off the bat, although it will make the power curve a little more stable and since you are probably still doing your break in period I would do the downpipe and exhaust then get the accessport. It's up to you though. Either way you do it does not matter.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 PM

alright thanks for the input gotta go with the turboback exhaust
Old 08-06-2006, 06:47 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Originally Posted by DTO808
alright thanks for the input gotta go with the turboback exhaust
What brand turboback exhaust are you going with?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 06' WRX Wagon Ltd WRB
Stupid question but is there any difference in getting a TBE as apose to a cat back with a down pipe? Some vendors offer all three, they will offer the CBE, and the downpipe seperately or in a combo package, but then sell a TBE!! Can someone clear that up for me? On the same note, what down pipes are not compatible with what CBEs? I have an 06 WRX wagon, I think it has an uncatted up- pipe please correct if different. Would there be any need or benefit to change it out.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:30 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Wingless WRX
Theres no difference in TBE or going with a catback then Dp. And for ur 06 there is no need to swap out the uppipe because it is already catless.

Thats my understanding i could be wrong xD
Old 08-09-2006, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 07 Silver Mazdaspeed 3
some vendors market a cat back and DP pkg because they aren't the same brand. A true TBE will be all made by the same company. But that is the only difference and wil not effect performance. +1 for cobb parts..... I have a bunch on my 04 sti and love them. I have never been pulled over for exhaust and I have a catless cobb TBE.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX
Originally Posted by okpanic
some vendors market a cat back and DP pkg because they aren't the same brand. A true TBE will be all made by the same company. But that is the only difference and wil not effect performance. +1 for cobb parts..... I have a bunch on my 04 sti and love them. I have never been pulled over for exhaust and I have a catless cobb TBE.
thats always been my worry about going with the turboback, is gettin pulled over, the cop lookin under the car and then handing me a big ticket. thats one of the things restricting me from actually getting one.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by WRX409
What brand turboback exhaust are you going with?
not sure yet also lookin to upgrade my turbo safely maybe just the sti turbo upgrade for now but money is a factor...still payin for the car

Quick Reply: Suggestions needed