Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

STi GT35R Owners on E85, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:12 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi
STi GT35R Owners on E85, a few questions

I've been reading a ton lately on the GT35R .82 on STi's, and there is a wealth of info out there, but much of what I read is from people who don't actually own the car, and much is older info on 91/93oct and not E85.

I have a built motor 07 sti running E85 (Darton sleeved, forged pistons,rods,etc). I'm currently 18G XT-R, but am looking to make more power to actually take advantage of this build.

My questions:
1.) On E85, how's the lag of a 35R compared to an 18GXT-R?
2.) Streetability of this turbo (I read it's laggy, I've read it's not laggy, but want e85 confirmation)
3.) wtq numbers?

I didn't find a huge amount of threads about 35R's on E85. If I am missing a bunch of obvious threads, please feel free to link me and forgive my ignorance. I have a feeling the first reply will be "omfg search" but I promise I have!

Most will ask my goals, and it's mainly to have a stupid fast street car.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Not sure how it compares to a 35R, but once upon a time a had an 05 sti on E85 with a blouch dom 3xtr. If my memory serves me correctly it made 430ish wtq. While freeway pulls were epic, I ended up missing the response of the stock vf on E85. It was laggy enough that if I could go back and do it again I would have went with a more balanced turbo. Hope this helps, but like you said it all depends on what your goals are!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd.
Garrett GT 35 R vs. 18G XTR

The 35R pumps 60lbs of air vs. the 43lbs of air in your current turbo. Therefore, if you install the 35R with any A/R configuration with the T3 (stock) setup you will have very laggy throttle response. However, if you are serious about making real power and you can find the money you could go to a rotated set-up from somebody like Full Race and buy their twin scroll (T4) exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and kit. Based of the A/R of turbo and the twin scroll effect, you will pick-up tremendous low end and with about a 1.15 A/R you will have a tremendous amount of top end. I recently did this same conversion on my new higly modified closed deck engine and used this set-up with a Comp Turbo C4x-6871 with the T4 Flange. The engine runs on E-85, using 2000cc injectors and twin 450LPH fuel pumps. The E-85 is responsible for about 40 to 65 more whp than pump gas depending on your set-up. E-85 reacts poorly to temperatures under 50 degrees F and will take some time and requires a long engine warm up to run clean.My engine starts producing power at 2000 rpm and continues up to 7500 rpm. Currently, with an automatic transmission its producing 844 whp and 917 ft.lbs of torque with a massive 5000 rpm power band, oh, and with instantaneous response! This is a very large Turbo and will not fit under the hood of the car without extensive modifications. The point being, with the right twin scroll set-up you can have a fun car to drive with little to no lag! My Subaru is built for one purpose only and that is to Drag Race, which is why we are reaching for the power number that we are. We will eventually get about 1000 whp before next NHRA season begins. This is not a daily driver. I hope this info helps you out? Good luck.

Last edited by Highly Modified; 04-15-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: left some information out
Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by dozenutts
Not sure how it compares to a 35R, but once upon a time a had an 05 sti on E85 with a blouch dom 3xtr. If my memory serves me correctly it made 430ish wtq. While freeway pulls were epic, I ended up missing the response of the stock vf on E85. It was laggy enough that if I could go back and do it again I would have went with a more balanced turbo. Hope this helps, but like you said it all depends on what your goals are!
Nice, I'm already pretty used to being laggier than the stocker, the 18gxtr is noticeable laggier though not a ton
Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Highly Modified
The 35R pumps 60lbs of air vs. the 43lbs of air in your current turbo. Therefore, if you install the 35R with any A/R configuration with the T3 (stock) setup you will have very laggy throttle response. However, if you are serious about making real power and you can find the money you could go to a rotated set-up from somebody like Full Race and buy their twin scroll (T4) exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and kit. Based of the A/R of turbo and the twin scroll effect, you will pick-up tremendous low end and with about a 1.15 A/R you will have a tremendous amount of top end. I recently did this same conversion on my new higly modified closed deck engine and used this set-up with a Comp Turbo C4x-6871 with the T4 Flange. The engine runs on E-85, using 2000cc injectors and twin 450LPH fuel pumps. The E-85 is responsible for about 40 to 65 more whp than pump gas depending on your set-up. E-85 reacts poorly to temperatures under 50 degrees F and will take some time and requires a long engine warm up to run clean.My engine starts producing power at 2000 rpm and continues up to 7500 rpm. Currently, with an automatic transmission its producing 844 whp and 917 ft.lbs of torque with a massive 5000 rpm power band, oh, and with instantaneous response! This is a very large Turbo and will not fit under the hood of the car without extensive modifications. The point being, with the right twin scroll set-up you can have a fun car to drive with little to no lag! My Subaru is built for one purpose only and that is to Drag Race, which is why we are reaching for the power number that we are. We will eventually get about 1000 whp before next NHRA season begins. This is not a daily driver. I hope this info helps you out? Good luck.
Right, the price of the full race one I see looks about the same as the other Garrett one I was already looking at. Interesting..