Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

SPT and COBB Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:26 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza WRX Sti/Hawkeye
SPT and COBB Intakes

So that means either intake installation will not turn on the engine check light rite? or cause engine to run lean rite? Just wanna make sure....
Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I have the SPT. It is installed on a modified hybrid. It is a really nice intake. I would consider the SPT over the COBB. OEM, warranty friendly, CARB cert. It is a sweet piece. Both Ed(Method) and Mike(GST). Were inpressed with this intake.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR Cobb stage 1, Perrin crank pulley, SPT intake w/shield, grounding mod, fog light mod
+110000000000 for the SPT intake, I in love with mine...Make sure you get the heat shield with it...The heat shield does help reduce the temp. of the intake charge. No CELs, great sound, and a little more power to boot.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 03 blue Evo - sold, 97 Eclipse GST - sold
Have you guys with the SPT Intake run into any prob. running really lean? This is my only mod on my 06 STI and for some reason today the car feels like it is running really lean. It will build boost at the lower RPM, but when it gets to around 3-6 it feels like my throttle body is half open, but I am flooring it? My clutch is not slipping, I am gaining boost on my boost gauge, and I am wondering what is going on? Anybody else have the same situation or heard of this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by stiormr
Have you guys with the SPT Intake run into any prob. running really lean? This is my only mod on my 06 STI and for some reason today the car feels like it is running really lean. It will build boost at the lower RPM, but when it gets to around 3-6 it feels like my throttle body is half open, but I am flooring it? My clutch is not slipping, I am gaining boost on my boost gauge, and I am wondering what is going on? Anybody else have the same situation or heard of this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
well if u have a 06sti it would of check engine light and error code saying its running lean if u check it with the OBDII. thats what happen to me with a custom made intake. so im guessing SPT and COBB intakes dont give u check engine lights rite?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:31 PM

But Still No One Answered My Question. Do You Get Engine Check Light And Blinking Cruise Control?! For The Cobb Intake And The Spt Intake.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR Cobb stage 1, Perrin crank pulley, SPT intake w/shield, grounding mod, fog light mod
Originally Posted by impreza-tux-121
But Still No One Answered My Question. Do You Get Engine Check Light And Blinking Cruise Control?! For The Cobb Intake And The Spt Intake.
No, no CELs, no blinking cruise control lights, nothing....... Just the sweet sound of the turbo sucking and the bov, even a little power gain. I'm also at Stage 1 w/ Cobb AP. Bychance did you reset the ECM?

Last edited by 06grayrex; 01-25-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:11 PM

stiormr,

I have heard that some of the STI's are having a problem with thier throttle bodies. What the problems are I'm not quite sure, but it may be worth it for you to search for this problem on NASIOC or Clubwrx.com.

Last edited by 06grayrex; 01-25-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 AM
VIP Member

Theintake has nothing to do with the TB. I have had no CEL form the intake
Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ipozestu
Theintake has nothing to do with the TB. I have had no CEL form the intake
Agreed, but this may be something unrelated.....Just a problem that arised around the same time he installed the intake. Some STI's are having problems with the drive by wire systems...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:50 PM

cool thanx. i thought Cobb AP weren't intake friendly?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Here is a Quote for Josh @ Cobb. So This means that the SPT and K&N are okay too.

Josh

Actually, our intake will gain as much power on a stock turbo STi as any other intake that is close to the stock diameter. On a Sage 2 STi it is typically around 5 h.p. or so. We are working on a full airbox for the SF Intake which is much more comprehensive than a shield, but it is not ready yet as we are still doing some refining of the fit.
Noise, Insults, Sarcasm, and General Mayhem!

Last edited by 06grayrex; 01-26-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:27 AM
VIP Member

The biggest problem is that many of these aftermarket co. think that you can drill a hole in a pipe slap the MAF in there and it's an intake. The diameter, placement. Are very important. Without R/D your end up with a F'd intake.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
SPT put their intake through a lot of testing on the street and dyno before listing it in the parts catalog. Their efforts were documented in Subaru's Drive Performance magazine. They made sure it had the correct diameter, MAF placement, and air flow that did not cause mis-readings or generate a CEL, while still providing a power increase across the usable rpm range when used with the recommended catback and intake heat shield. With the heat shield in place, they claim the intake charge temps were within a few degrees of the factory airbox in all driving conditions, including slow-moving traffic.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
SPT put their intake through a lot of testing on the street and dyno before listing it in the parts catalog. Their efforts were documented in Subaru's Drive Performance magazine. They made sure it had the correct diameter, MAF placement, and air flow that did not cause mis-readings or generate a CEL, while still providing a power increase across the usable rpm range when used with the recommended catback and intake heat shield. With the heat shield in place, they claim the intake charge temps were within a few degrees of the factory airbox in all driving conditions, including slow-moving traffic.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
agreed........That's why I purchased the SPT intake w/heat shield vs another company's. I guess I trust Subaru more than a lot of aftermarket companies with a product that could f-up your car with a ill designed product.

Quick Reply: SPT and COBB Intakes