Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Input? Cobb SS CBE with Helix catted/non-catted DP

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Car Info: '06 WRX Sport Wagon
Input? Cobb SS CBE with Helix catted/non-catted DP

Bare with me here, as I'm a fair noob when it comes to mods.

I've got the opportunity to pick up a Cobb SS catback and a Helix catted DP, Helix non-catted DP, or both.

I was hoping someone out there might have some experience running a similar set-up and have some input. I'm particularly interested in any suggestions regarding whether I should go catted or not.

I was originally thinking of mounting a Borla hush, so you can figure I'm just looking to let a little of the boxer out but nothing too loud (the g/f hates the droning at speed. The things I do for the ladies...).

My thinking was I could either get the non-catted (if it's not too loud) and toss my stock one on whenever it comes time for smog. I'm not tuned as of yet, so supposedly there could be some turbo creep with no cat (sound legitimate??) Or go with the catted and not worry about switching out, assuming the power loss isn't too noticeable over the non-catted.

Any help is much appreciated. Forum links to that I've missed to similar discussions would be fine too.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
I don't know too much about either of those systems, but I would recommend the catted DP. From my personal research of catalytic converters, cats nowadays don't resist air flow nearly as much as the old-school (pellet-type) ones. Better to save the planet then opt for 2-3 more HP.

Again though, I'm no expert, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 70 BMW 1600
I ran a Helix catted DP with a cobb catback for about three months. I ended up selling the helix dp cause I didn't like how it fit and I ended up getting a cobb catted DP
Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Car Info: '06 WRX Sport Wagon
The input is much appreciated. I've got the stock DP on with the Cobb CBE at the moment. I was fotunate to find a fellow i-clubber with the Elite 3-2.5 adapter, so I'll be putting that with the Helix on in the next day or two. I'll report back with any fitment or leak issues that I might find. Beyond that, maybe I'll keep an eye out for that Cobb DP...