Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

which BOV to get ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi
First off, dont be swayed by what people will say about 100% atmo BOV's. If you want one get one.

Now with that said, I would go with one of two BOV's Forge Motorsport or Worx Tuning.

Some aftermarket BOV's can cause problems as a result of the engine running rich. Some can leak and cause stumbling at idle.

Forge Motorsports BOV from www.rallyperformance.com is guaranteed to work perfect on your car. I had it on my WRX for 10,000miles and on the STi for 2000 now and it has worked flawlessly. The sound is also one of the best of any BOV I have ever heard.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:39 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
The car is designed to use a bypass valve not a "BOV".

Good luck with the noisemaker, hope it dosen't...well, anyway.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:45 PM

See ^

The car is also designed a certain way, with a certain turbo, a certain intercooler, certain exhaust with certain emission controls. It wasnt meant to have body modifications, 3in exhaust, larger turbo, FMIC/larger TMIC, different injectors, another ECU piggybacking the stock one. BUT WE DO IT. WE MODIFY so WTF is so wrong with a high quality BOV honestly.

You will hear all type of reasons why some people dont like them. But its all personal preference.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:56 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Originally posted by LukeSTi
See ^

The car is also designed a certain way, with a certain turbo, a certain intercooler, certain exhaust with certain emission controls. It wasnt meant to have body modifications, 3in exhaust, larger turbo, FMIC/larger TMIC, different injectors, another ECU piggybacking the stock one. BUT WE DO IT. WE MODIFY so WTF is so wrong with a high quality BOV honestly.

You will hear all type of reasons why some people dont like them. But its all personal preference.
If you don't understand why a 'BOV' is a bad idea, then I hope to hell you blow up your car and you come here and cry about it, 'cuz I'm just gonna laff my *** off....
Noisemakers are for those who THINK they HAVE to HAVE one to be kEWl....or those who, because of their other mods MUST use one...putting a noisemaker on an otherwise stock car is just plain infantile.
So, no tears when it dosen't run right and you refuse to believe that your noisemaker is to blame.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Uncle Scotty
If you don't understand why a 'BOV' is a bad idea, then I hope to hell you blow up your car
I know about the "cons" of an aftermarket BOV, how some say it could cause the car to run rich because the air is no-longer recirculated into the intake tract. Also some who say that it is not good for the turbo and could cause it to fail. heh, HOWEVER I have never heard of a BOV causing a vehicle to violently explode in a ball of flames as you described above!?

Realisticly, I know you have a possition against BOV's thats fine with me. I honestly dont think any-one possition is totally right.

SO, to get off of this argument, JetJaguar asked what BOV should he get; not for opinions for or against them. I tried to answer his question, and really dont want to get into a flame discussion on BOV's, hell they seem to get more heated than a Manitee BBQ at a Green Peace Convention
Old 11-08-2003, 03:09 PM

*Manatee
Old 11-08-2003, 03:26 PM

'Blown up" refers to the engine(or one of its expensive sub-components) having a catastrophic failure due, in this case, to improper parts being installed on it.
Go ahead...learn the hard way...think you're right 'till the tears start to fall...maybe somebody will buy you another one to break...
Old 11-08-2003, 10:21 PM

Supras and dsm's are different....
Do you even know what a 'stand alone' IS???
Didn't think so...AFAIK there won't be ANY aftermarket EM for the STi for a long time.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:23 AM

'Blown up" refers to the engine(or one of its expensive sub-components) having a catastrophic failure due, in this case, to improper parts being installed on it.
Go ahead...learn the hard way...think you're right 'till the tears start to fall...maybe somebody will buy you another one to break...
Please tell me you are not implying that my STi was purchased for me?!?!?!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
In response to your original post, Mr. jetjaguar, I would buy one that is at least capable of being used as a full recirculating bypass valve. The reasons for this are twofold. First, by recirculating the pressurized air within the intake tract, your turbo continues to spin faster than it would be venting the pressure, which results in less lag during shifts and a faster car. This is the one and only reason that OEMs use them. The other effect is richness during shifts or lift-throttle- you dump big clouds of smoke out of your exhaust and get your valves, wastegate, 02 sensor, and everything else covered in unburned fuel, none of which are a desirable event.

HOWEVER, if you really like the noise, go for it. Your car won't blow up from having one, ever.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
AFAIK there won't be ANY aftermarket EM for the STi for a long time.
Actually the Xede for the STi is available now, we just can't sell plug and play wiring harnesses because nobody is selling the right kind of connectors.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:43 AM

get the auwrx's gfb stealth fx

Quick Reply: which BOV to get ?