Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

2nd engine, leaking headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
2nd engine, leaking headgasket

Hi guys, I just got an 2007 STi in August.
To summarize, the original owner raced it and blew the first engine, got it replaced at a Subaru dealer under warranty. When I bought it, it is on the second engine with about 13k on that engine. Long story short, I've had to take it in to repair a bunch of small stuff, which i'm fine with and its been fixed.

So my mechanic of 10 years tells me that the last 5 times it was in the shop for something or another, that it looks like the head gasket is leaking.

I take it to the Subaru dealer and they have it for 4 days (looked it for half a day) and tell me they do not see a leak and will not perform warranty work unless they see it leaking. I left it dirty so that they could see it was obviously leaking. They simply wiped it off and told me they didnt see a leak.

I put it up on the lift the next week and took pictures. you can see its discolored (oil) that has been wiped off on both sides.

This should be enough 'proof' to warrant warranty work right?

Am I in the wrong here?

check out these pics!

been having trouble trying to post pics on here, the img tags arent working, sorry the links to the pics are a work around.... if you cant see these pics, let me know thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9988333...in/photostream

Last edited by subiescottwrx; 12-25-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com

I can't really see anything in the pictures but I'll take your word for it (except for that last one i see a lot of residue). That is a shady dealership! I feel a lot of dealers especially Subaru won't warranty because of the "abuse" these cars take. I don't know what to tell you in this situation. Get a lawyer and have a lot of sources saying it is indeed leaking. Good luck bro Happy Holidays!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM

i now have 4+ pics of it leaking in more spots above the starter, axle, and oil pan.......its definitely leaking oil. I have video of it too.....will figure out how to post it here somehow....its a shame the img tags do not function on this site properly.

here's a vid.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSlXm_LtO3s

Last edited by subiescottwrx; 01-05-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
I think it's normal procedure for all Suby dealerships to push back on all warranty claims as much as humanly possible... this is where they make all their money.

if i were you, i'd go to the service manager at the specific dealer you went to with all the evidence you are showing here. talk to them like a normal human being, you'll get what you need fixed.

document everything. all discussions, what was spoken about, to whom, etc... then if they push back more, get a lawyer or threaten to get a lawyer... basically threaten to put their shady business on blast.

or just tell them you'll blow the engine again and get a new one... =)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
I think it's normal procedure for all Suby dealerships to push back on all warranty claims as much as humanly possible... this is where they make all their money.

if i were you, i'd go to the service manager at the specific dealer you went to with all the evidence you are showing here. talk to them like a normal human being, you'll get what you need fixed.

document everything. all discussions, what was spoken about, to whom, etc... then if they push back more, get a lawyer or threaten to get a lawyer... basically threaten to put their shady business on blast.

or just tell them you'll blow the engine again and get a new one... =)
hhaha, yeah thats my plan for this Sat. Unfortunately I've already been talking to the subaru service manager.......i'll talk to him again, show him the pics, put it up on the lift and bring my mechanic along. i'll show him the video too......i've documented all of this in emails (no responses from them) and phone calls......they have no more excuses.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
Multiple things could have happened here. You said the first motor was blown by the previous owner racing the car correct? Well if they were racing it and it was getting to hot, they could have warped the heads. If when the dealership rebuilt the motor and didn't fully check the heads that could be the problem. or when they tore down the motor, there is a special sequence of loosening the head bolts or the head can warp. Also when putting the motor back together there is a tightening sequence too. did they use new head bolts? you can only use the stock head bolts twice. After that they are too stretched to reuse.

Every motor that I tear apart I always replace the head bolts with ARP studs just to avoid all the steps you have to go through with the stock head bolts. so once again if they did not follow the proper sequence of torque, tighten, loosen, retorque, retighten, all in the right pattern too. then that’s a problem that would lead to leaking gaskets.

From the pics it doesn’t look all that bad, but the pics could be just after a couple of miles, I don’t know. but what concerns me is if your heads are warped, that could have worse ramifications later down the road.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by Chris_M
Multiple things could have happened here. You said the first motor was blown by the previous owner racing the car correct? Well if they were racing it and it was getting to hot, they could have warped the heads. If when the dealership rebuilt the motor and didn't fully check the heads that could be the problem. or when they tore down the motor, there is a special sequence of loosening the head bolts or the head can warp. Also when putting the motor back together there is a tightening sequence too. did they use new head bolts? you can only use the stock head bolts twice. After that they are too stretched to reuse.

Every motor that I tear apart I always replace the head bolts with ARP studs just to avoid all the steps you have to go through with the stock head bolts. so once again if they did not follow the proper sequence of torque, tighten, loosen, retorque, retighten, all in the right pattern too. then that’s a problem that would lead to leaking gaskets.

From the pics it doesn’t look all that bad, but the pics could be just after a couple of miles, I don’t know. but what concerns me is if your heads are warped, that could have worse ramifications later down the road.
I would HOPE that a dealer would know this... but it wouldn't surprise me that they know it but didn't follow the rules... if anyone's gonna take shortcuts, it the dealer.

After Sat's meeting with the service manager again, I would go directly to the store manager or owner himself/herself. escalate until you turn blue in the face but keep your cool and try your best to stay emotionless. make them understand what you are dealing with from your perspective as an outsider looking in.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 01-06-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
I would HOPE that a dealer would know this... but it wouldn't surprise me that they know it but didn't follow the rules... if anyone's gonna take shortcuts, it the dealer.
True. I think they took a short cut and didn't check the heads to see if they were warped or not.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:55 PM

minor update; I was headed out to the dealership with my mechanic and called ahead of time to make sure we'd still check out the car last Sat.
So I didn't go. I'm assuming they don't want us in their garage embarrassing their mechanics.

They said my pics and video were now sufficient to perform the warranty work.
I'm dropping it off next week. Hoping they actually keep their word. Will update in a week or two!

Last edited by subiescottwrx; 01-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.