Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

21500 miles on an Axis / RAW Performance motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI: 11.44@123.60
21500 miles on an Axis / RAW Performance motor

Did you ever wonder what the inside of a Axis / RAW Performance built motor looks like after 21500 miles?

At 21500 miles the motor was still running strong.. making same power as it did at 5K miles when I started to add BOOST to it.

The only issue I had with this motor was piston slap from the drivers side. It became noticeable at 5K miles.

I continued to drive the car with the piston slap and put 16500 additional miles on it.

I decided to pull the motor and drive it down to Ron's shop in Columbia IL for a refresh. The car is for sale... for the right price (see my classified add if interested). My plan was to evaluate the motor condition after 21500 miles and if everything looked good... upgrade the performance a bit more with ported heads and aftermarket rods.

Ron, Shawn (Ron's assistant) and I were very happy with what we found inside the motor... very minimal wear and no surprises.

The video below captures the key points of our evaluation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iouvjpuc05k

About my project:

2005 STi, AXIS / RAW Performance motor (see spec below), FP Red, KS Tech 83mm CAI, DW 850 injectors, Tuned with ROMRaider & StreetTUNER by myself (with help from a few very good friends).

The car was achieving 29.72 miles per gallon highway driving.

I ran a best of 11.44 @ 123.60 in the 1/4 mile

My build specs:

About Axis / RAW Performance:

The video probably speaks for itself... but I will add that I am very impressed with the quality of work Ron produces. In addition to top quality the customer service is unbelievable. I really appreciate Ron and Shawn's willingness to allow my son and I to capture the experience on film.

If you are looking for a solid build, I recommend Ron and his team. If you are interested, visit his webpage: http://raw1performance.com/
Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI: 11.44@123.60
UPDATE:::>>>>>

Just received a call from Ron.. He received information from the head flow-master... that my valves are slightly bent.

Through the discussion with Ron, I deducted that using the flat foot shifting and launch control probably caused the slightly bent valves... so for those of us that like flat foot shifting and launch control... we better re-consider using it..... the flow-master was able to machine the valves to spec but thought it would be better for me to replace them considering the power I am planning to make.

I gave Ron the OK to order new valves... am going to upgrade to the Supertech Inconel exhaust valves in the process...