Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

08 WRX Stock to Stage 1 Cobb AP V2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX Hatchback
08 WRX Stock to Stage 1 Cobb AP V2 Info

What's up everyone. So I'm not new to the world of Subaru, nor am I new to the concepts associated with upgrading my new 08 WRX hatch, I am however new to the world of forced induction. I just bought a new V2 AP on ebay and it is on its way here so I wanted to sort of open the floor to all of you experienced and learned drivers/tuners/enthusiasts to point me in the right direction.

I'm not looking for a billion HP or anything outrageous. Honestly I probably wouldn't go too far past a basic stage 2 with the intake and exhaust upgrades, however what I wanted to know is if there is anything in particular I should be looking for during/after the first tune. I bought the car used a few weeks back from a Car Sense with 71k on it, bone stock, only one owner prior (with 2 carseat-bound children, judging by the wear on the carseat anchors). It drives very well and I see no evidence of hidden or outstanding mechanical issues. Prior to the first tune, should I take it to a shop to give it an unbiased once-over to ensure all fluids are fresh, levels are topped off, etc? Or do you think I'd be safe tuning to stock stage 1 without the extra assurance?

I don't plan on taking it to the dealership for service unless there's a serious problem, so flashing back to stock beforehand isn't a big concern. Also, will taking it for service at a shop while it's tuned wreak any havoc as long as I advise them the car is tuned? Or can they run routine maintenance with the car tuned?

Thanks in advance for your input, and if any/all of this has been covered somewhere that I haven't already looked, feel free to point me in the right direction.