Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

06 WRX BOV help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Car Info: Stock 06 WRX
06 WRX BOV help!

ok i have a 2006 WRX and i was wondering if their is a site to tell me how to like get rid of the recirculating BOV going back to the air intake cuz i want that wicked sound not where i cant hear it so can you all help me out plz
Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Unless you hacked around with your stock BOV, you are going to need an aftermarket one. Now keep in mind that an atmospheric BOV isn't really very good for your car...it will make you run a bit rich, which is better than lean by all means but...Why not do a silencer delete so you can hear the stock one better? The search function for the forums are you friend. And welcome to i-club by the way .

Last edited by pwn; 03-16-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
def true. i did the scliencer delete and i can hear mine. but then again.... i have an intake and dp..... but every little bit helps
Old 03-16-2007, 01:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
the silencer delete in the gp moto elbow isnt that great, its too quite for me. you will get a much louder sound with an spt intake/heatshield or another aftermarket short ram intake. its better to deal with the heat dissapation issues, but be able to hear your bov than to get an atmospheric bov and run hella rich. i bought the cobb intake becuase it is plastic, similar to the stock ram air intake system which really helps with heat dissapation problems. plus an intake will add more hp when tuned than a bov ever could, so go with an intake and get tuned
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
put the oem bov back on
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pwn
Unless you hacked around with your stock BOV, you are going to need an aftermarket one. Now keep in mind that an atmospheric BOV isn't really very good for your car...it will make you run a bit rich, which is better than lean by all means but...Why not do a snokelectomy so you can hear the stock one better? The search function for the forums are you friend. And welcome to i-club by the way .
you dont want to take out that snorkus... if you take that elbow out then your air readings could less accurate, not to mention that most of the air will not be flowing uniformly into your intake box...not a good idea.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
^ What, how are your readings less accurate? The snorkus comes before the sensor. The problem with the Atmospheric BOV is that it is letting the air ou after the sensor. You could drill holes in the air box (below the filter) and not have any issues with air readings.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:41 AM
pwn

Originally Posted by wrxtunerd
you dont want to take out that snorkus... if you take that elbow out then your air readings could less accurate, not to mention that most of the air will not be flowing uniformly into your intake box...not a good idea.
I've never heard of any ill side effects of the silencer delete, and I am sure if you posted in the forums about which is better for your car, atmospheric BOV or the delete, the delete would probably come up on top. Hes going to do either one, might as well give him the better option first. Do you have any hard information on the less accurate air flow readings? I can't imagine it would really mess with the maf at all..
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
if you want to hear the stock one louder, just get an intake
Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM

make sure you get the right intake. the wrong one will nd you up in an even worse place than a BOV
Old 03-16-2007, 02:10 PM
VIP Member

the elbow just keeps the air flowing in the direct path to the sensor, taking it out gets a spontanious airflow in and out of the hole in your fender, which is why some intakes come with fins in them to keep airflow steady through the sensor for the most accurate readings... its my bet that it doesnt make that big of a difference, but why take it out for a little sound instead of getting the silencer delete or a plastic short ram intake???
Old 03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Lightbulb

Here you go:
http://cobbtuning.com/products/Defau...id=2310&v=more

about the Cobb Short Ram Intake:

"Our system utilizes several unique features in an effort to maintain optimal flow for performance while minimizing turbulence that can cause engine management problems. From a custom conical cloth air-filter element, we use a CFD-designed velocity stack leading to an unique air flow straightener grid. This straightener grid is specifically designed to smooth the incoming air flow as it passes the Mass Air Flow sensor for precise readings. This eliminates the "dead spots" experienced by other aftermarket intakes due to turbulence. NO other aftermarket Subaru intake system utilizes these critical design elements."

I am pretty sure that what Cobb is talking about with the other aftermarket intakes is probably true for those that take out the elbow in their stock ram air system...but I may be wrong...

Last edited by medicSTi; 03-16-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:36 PM
pwn

Originally Posted by wrxtunerd
the elbow just keeps the air flowing in the direct path to the sensor, taking it out gets a spontanious airflow in and out of the hole in your fender, which is why some intakes come with fins in them to keep airflow steady through the sensor for the most accurate readings... its my bet that it doesnt make that big of a difference, but why take it out for a little sound instead of getting the silencer delete or a plastic short ram intake???
I meant to type silencer delete. Fixed.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

i doubt there are any ill effects due to a silencer delete elbow, i was just saying that removing the stock elbow and not replacing it with something will probably rob you of a little performance...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 PM

actually, leaving the stock box in is a hinderance to the intake. it restricts the airflow. that is why most tuners tell you that it is the first thing to go when modding your car.

Quick Reply: 06 WRX BOV help!