Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

06 sti tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM

06 sti tranny

I am new here to the club I like it so far but I have an 06 Subaru STI and I am wondering about transmission fluid it seems clean but it has a scent to it an odor . I'm at about 94,000 miles right now just had an oil pump put in custom rejects an unnamed motorsports store couldn't put in an O2 sensor right. long story other than that runs like a top going to start upgrading but want to know how often to change tranny fluid or if there's anything unusual to it now
Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: GC,GF,GD,GR,GH
I always change my trans and diff oil at 30K, you might be able to go longer, but I figure oil is cheap, and trans and diffs are not lol. Also if you are ever in doubt, it is never a bad idea to change it just to be safe. And all used Trans/Diff oil will have a funky smell to it that just seems to get stronger with more miles and age.
Do you know how long it has been since it was last changed?

thanks,
Rick
Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Change it anyway. 30k I did my wrx and when I got a 6spd I did it right away... I used Swepco. It's awesome but since you have an 06 tithe diff needs a bit of a friction modifier, I used sta-lube friction modifier, drivetrain works awesome! There's a YouTube video on how to do it of you need help. Also, the OEM stuff works great!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the information guys it will not go wasted I'm going to do that this weekend! I also just ordered Tenzo nines in charcoal . Also I'm going to be upgrading to a cobb stage two set up and I was wondering timing belt would be a good idea right?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by bushido11
Thanks for the information guys it will not go wasted I'm going to do that this weekend! I also just ordered Tenzo nines in charcoal . Also I'm going to be upgrading to a cobb stage two set up and I was wondering timing belt would be a good idea right?
Okay so it was a good time changing transmission fluid. Tranny seems to love it what would you guys advise next for 06 Subaru STI nearing 100,000 miles ? Blasted rims take forever to get here tap tap tap tap ...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I see you had the Oil pump done, was the Timing belt, water pump, and idler pulleys done as well? If not get that done though it should have been done when doing the oil pump since all of that had to come off.
Another part you should replace, Oil Pick up tube. If that thing goes, your motor goes.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
I see you had the Oil pump done, was the Timing belt, water pump, and idler pulleys done as well? If not get that done though it should have been done when doing the oil pump since all of that had to come off.
Another part you should replace, Oil Pick up tube. If that thing goes, your motor goes.
I doubt those idiots at 3-D motorsports did any of that besides the oil pump I will have to check on it I kind of sounds scary... ****
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 AM

I doubt those idiots at 3-D motorsports did any of that besides the oil pump I will have to check on it I kind of sounds scary... ****
That is Scary if they went through all of the trouble to pull apart the timing setup and not replace the timing components while in there. Any shop worth a darn would suggest that to you unless you had just gotten it done and it sounds like you have not. SO that my friend would be your next thing to have done. Might i suggest also having the cam seals looked at and replaced if any signs of oil seepage are present.

And while doing that have the oil pickup done. A after market oil cooler and radiator (Koyo) are also good investments.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM

That is Scary if they went through all of the trouble to pull apart the timing setup and not replace the timing components while in there. Any shop worth a darn would suggest that to you unless you had just gotten it done and it sounds like you have not. SO that my friend would be your next thing to have done. Might i suggest also having the cam seals looked at and replaced if any signs of oil seepage are present.

And while doing that have the oil pickup done. A after market oil cooler and radiator (Koyo) are also good investments.
They did the oil pump cause when igot the long awaited 06 model, sensor said mass airflow sensor . They screwed it if and something got in the oil pump( when I left within two miles oil pressure light flashing ramdomly) it was on trailer next day back. They were pissed off about having to do the work but he did say before that if something crazy happens let me know well something crazy happened they were pissed off abouthaving to do the work all he said was they replaced the oil pump the car dealership was the one to pay for it so I never even got recept what was done. It runs like a top though so I guess I'll just have to start from there
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM

They did the oil pump cause when igot the long awaited 06 model, sensor said mass airflow sensor . They screwed it if and something got in the oil pump( when I left within two miles oil pressure light flashing ramdomly) it was on trailer next day back. They were pissed off about having to do the work but he did say before that if something crazy happens let me know well something crazy happened they were pissed off abouthaving to do the work all he said was they replaced the oil pump the car dealership was the one to pay for it so I never even got recept what was done. It runs like a top though so I guess I'll just have to start from there
Yeah with the milage you have it would be a good idea to get the timing belt and components done and the Oil pickup tube (dont go with a stock pickup, get either Tigwerks (there is a group buy currently you can jump in on) or the Killer-B unit)

If you do plan on upgrading and going stage 2 (or higher) you def want to do reliability mods.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Yeah with the milage you have it would be a good idea to get the timing belt and components done and the Oil pickup tube (dont go with a stock pickup, get either Tigwerks (there is a group buy currently you can jump in on) or the Killer-B unit)

If you do plan on upgrading and going stage 2 (or higher) you def want to do reliability mods.
Yep that's exactly what I'm looking to upgrade the reliability but I am planning on going with the Cobb stage two intake an exhaust .what is your list for reliability upgrades I'm interested to know ? Thanks for the help
Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Yep that's exactly what I'm looking to upgrade the reliability but I am planning on going with the Cobb stage two intake an exhaust .what is your list for reliability upgrades I'm interested to know ? Thanks for the help
Save some money, keep the stock intake system (if anything change the AF Maf hose). the Cobb short ram sucks hot air and does not give any performance gains it can actually hurt your performance. It does give you the nice turbo spooling up sound and stock BPV (blow off valve) sound as well but that can be had from better true CAI systems later when you are at the needed power levels and ready for a pro tune. Unless your dead set on cobb DP and CBE system, shop around. You can find used DP's and CBE systems easily saving you some coin for the not so common used AP unless your going a different route for tuning.
Reliability upgrades would be, Oil Pickup Tube, Oil cooler, and Radiator. Some might also say to get an AP and flash to stage one because of the stock map. Others i am sure can and will chime in with their suggestions as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 PM

So after oil cooler( brilliant) and the other mods which route do you think I should take it ? I definitely love rally I race but I'm new to rally not entering into any races but want to set up to drift it's beautiful in the corners already it definitely needs mudflaps but so that said o knowledgeable fellow 06 owner (love the sway bars on ur ride) how do I go about opening her up and lettin her breath best ?I don't need crazy power but high three would b nice and useable anyways if you have time I'd like to know what you think. Definetly love the frame bracing you have