Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

WRX VS. 350Z (i lost.... )

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:28 PM

WRX VS. 350Z (i lost.... )

So i ran a 350Z tonight in my wrx and have to say i had my *** handed to me...he walked all over me seriously. Then again i had 3 friends in my car and stopped after I got out of 3rd gear (i didnt want to keep going cuz it wasnt worth it plus the car was full and i didnt want to continue to go on at high speeeds). I had the guy good off the line and after that it was all over he was gone by about 2-3 car lengths..Im just wonderin how u guys think i would have done if i had been alone without the extra weight.. My mods as of now are only an intake and catback..I seriously felt my car laggin with the weight, but could the weight have made that big of a difference?? What mods are a must for the WRX??
-This was on a clear, open, straight road by the way with no traffic in front or to the side of us, and i dont encourage street racing btw but just wanted to see wat the Z had and i did.haha

EDIT: O Yea The Moderators can move this thread if it is in the wrong place, sorry
-Adam
Old 09-26-2004, 09:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
if you have 4 ppl in your car.. your an idiot for racing...
Old 09-26-2004, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
When you take your spare tire out does it make a difference ? (Nods head yes)

When you have 3 friends at say 150lbs a piece (450lbs) will that make a difference in performance ? (Nods head yes)

P.S. What do you have done to your car ?

Rush
Old 09-26-2004, 09:33 PM

like i said man i basically just launched and began to slow down after bein in 3rd gear to about 5k RPMs thats just as bad as mergin on the freeway, there was no wreckless driving being done by getting up to a little past the speed limit and moving straight...

-Adam
Old 09-26-2004, 09:34 PM

as of now i only have an intake and catback what should i get next??
Old 09-26-2004, 09:45 PM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
You need some sort of engine management and a down pipe.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:53 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
If you want more power, the thing to get now is a custom-tuned reflash. You can replace the factory airbox to make it easier for the tuner to dial-in a tune for your engine. The reflash alone even without your other two modest mods will make a much more noticeable difference.

And, yes, if all you're asking on i-Club is for typical first WRX power mods, please just omit any street racing references. Test straight line performance at a drag strip. Then you can post numbers that everyone can understand.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-26-2004, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
If you want more power, the thing to get now is a custom-tuned reflash. You can replace the factory airbox to make it easier for the tuner to dial-in a tune for your engine. The reflash alone even without your other two modest mods will make a much more noticeable difference.

And, yes, if all you're asking on i-Club is for typical first WRX power mods, please just omit any street racing references. Test straight line performance at a drag strip. Then you can post numbers that everyone can understand.
thnx for all the input guys, ill definately look into a reflash downpipe and what not... and yea my bad for saying it was on the street and for the fact i said there were 3 passengers, not smart...then again i wouldnt really classify it as a race more of a who can get up to ,well a lil past, the speed limit(i did mention in my 1st post i didnt want to continue moving at high speeds)... again my bad and thnx

-Adam
Old 09-27-2004, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
350z...

I ran a 350z w/catback & intake v.s. my WRX w/catback exhaust system & he didn't even come close of spanking me. He slowly just pulled away but nothing bad. Those cars have higher hp/tourqe but it's heavy too...

MArky
Old 09-27-2004, 04:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I have a feeling that the intake probably didn't do you much good. I agree with others when it comes to engine management and a downpipe. And if you're not worried about emissions, an uppipe will do you wonders too.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
OMG...lol

Wow, first of all,...what were you thinking???? ha ha ha...

Of course you got your *** handed to you. The 350Z has 287HP. Compaired to you WRX (227HP). You say you have a CAI and cat back. The CAI is probably hurting your performance if anything. You maybe getting 5 - 7 hp from the cat back.

I read somewhere that for every 100lbs you add to your car it's like subtracting apx. 10hp. I'm sure this isn't very scientific. You said you had 2 passengers or was it three...anyway think of it this way: it was as if your WRX was putting down like 120 to the wheels...lol.

Man I'll bet the guy in the Z was laughing his butt off. Anyway, if you want to run with a Z and not look too stupid, do it when it's just you in the car. At least that way you can beat him to 60mph. Should make good for a stop light to stop light win...not that we condone that here.

If you want to beat a Z, you better save up for a complete Stage 2 set up.

Oh and for the love of God, upgrade your stock suspension, Wheels, and tires. If a Z catches you in the twisties with your stock set up, be prepared to look like miss daisy again...

Last edited by Chrisnonstop; 09-27-2004 at 06:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 09-28-2004, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
Of course you got your *** handed to you. The 350Z has 287HP. Compaired to you WRX (227HP).
In this situation it wasn't the lack of HP that hurt him, it was a lack of torque. If you look at the dyno chart of a stock WRX, the torque curve is pathetic; it doesn't start putting out force until the 4800-5500 range, and then drops off like a rock. When you are dealing with moving a large amount of intertial mass (i.e. your dead weight friends) you need torque, and the 350Z, with its larger displacement, has more torque on tap. Torque is the reason that a Chevy diesel truck can pull away from you at a stoplight at 2200 RPM, and you have to push the tach to 4800 to keep up with them.

A reflash and downpipe can create some incredible advances in torque; I've seen a stock STI gain almost 100 lbs of torque at 2800 RPM with a reflash. However, this will only get you to 60 MPH. Above that speed, you either have to run 3rd gear to 7900 RPM and 4rth to 6500 (at which point you will be over 100 MPH) or try to do it in 5th, and in either one of those scenarios, the Z has you because he won't hit the rev limiter as fast. If you genuinely wanted to beat one in the 1/4 mile, you could do this in a stage two, but if you wanted to beat one around an actual track at the 100 MPH range, you'd have to upgrade the turbo, injectors and fuel pump to do so.

Follow this link for some before-and-after dyno charts (note: these are the real thing, I've driven cars tuned by these guys and these charts are conservative examples. They have tuned quite a few 500+ HP STIs that are daily driven.)

http://www.dyno-comp.com/subaru.php?view=subaru

Oh and for the love of God, upgrade your stock suspension, Wheels, and tires. If a Z catches you in the twisties with your stock set up, be prepared to look like miss daisy again...
I don't think that's true... I've driven a 350z (the Touring convertible model, Nismo spec) and it is an extremely heavy car with pronounced body roll and understeer. It comes from the factory about 2 inches lower to the ground than the WRX, which helps, and it definitely whistles less in the wind, but I don't think that a decent driver with some good grippy tires would have much trouble against one in auto-X. The one I've driven really liked going in a straight line, but was twitchy in the corners and I had to brake more than I liked. Nice shifting however, a very nice drivetrain overall. Just don't try to fit groceries in the back seat.

Last edited by meilers; 09-28-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
I know a guy who owns a Z. . . he calls it his *****. . . . she is really fast and always gets loose on him.

Unless the guy has mass suspension mods he will not be able to take you in Auto-X

Rush
Old 10-02-2004, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
You bought an intake and catback and wonder why your car is slow?

(A) Stock intake is sufficient and does not need upgrading.

(B) Catbacks really do not do anything.

Get a downpipe, uppipe, and possibly a pulley. Have a tuner reflash your ECU and you should see good gains. Oh yeah, and don't race with 3 other people in the car. Risk killing yourself, not your friends as well.

Quick Reply: WRX VS. 350Z (i lost.... )