Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

WRX Intake Manifold Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 06:45 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
WRX Intake Manifold Questions

On the WRX I think the intake manifold is aluminum. Is it? And if so would there be any adverse affects from polishing the exterior? I am thinking about having it ported and if I do I am considering polishing the exterior. I think it would look killer. Also, if I port the intake and will I have to port the trottle body to match? Will it effect my emissions. Do you think the gains would be advantageous? will it function properly under the stock ecu? And will I loose anything like drivability, i.e. gain lag or loose torque ect? I will be purchasing a utec from TurboXS and plan to have it set on the dyno but I need to know if I can get away with doing the porting first and adding the UTEC after. All thoughts will be apreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
as far as polishing the exterior, go for it. it looks awesome and gives a good finish, but you may have to re-buff it often as it may lose its finish opposed to chrome. you may also want to looking into painting it or powder coating it.

as far as the porting goes i would not port the manifold. if you really want to port it, just port match the throttle body and you will be fine. this will not affect emission, but may be better for it. as far as lag goes, i have no idea.

hope that helps
Old 12-28-2002, 09:00 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
The intake manifold is aluminum and I am sure that there are some companies out there that would be able to port and polish the throttle body for you. By porting and polishing, you would probably gain a little more responsiveness but not enough to probably notice a major power gain.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I recommend extrude honing the intake manifold. It really smoothes everythiing inside. In stock form, it is pretty nasty on the inisde and EHing gives it a nearly mirrored finish, while removing all bumps, etc, hense increasing the airflow and reducing the turbulance that goes though it.