Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

What To Mod Next???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Get tuned (UTEC, XEDE, ECUtek reflash) so that you can get the most out of your mods!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:03 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
i have a really newbish question. if u do a reflash..which is suppose to make all ur new parts work together right? so wouldnt it just be a waste of money if u are going to do more mods? would u have to reflash again? im not..quite sure how this whole things works.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Re: What To Mod Next???

Do the up-pipe. I guess if you like the Blitz go with it, make sure you hear it before hand to make sure you like it. Go with the blow off valve. Check out others. No nitrous, not because it is rice, because of the harm you are doing for a mere 2.4 seconds of good acceleration (Wait until the bottom where I can explain more) The resinator being removed isn't too much money and definatly stay with the stock intake. Alternator pulleys don't do too much, what I would do (and what I did) was I did the AutoSpeedPerformance Lightened (not underdriven) crank pulley. World of difference, I wouldnt take it off for the world. Definatly a short throw shifter. I love my STi, but others are good as well. I hear B&M has a good one. Also think about getting your ecu reflashed or purchasing a Cobb Access Port, it will put more horses into your car . . . . you will be able to beat any civic with as much nos as they can handle, you will be running safer, faster, and stronger. For more info on all this go to www.subarureview.com

Good Luck
WRX Rush

Originally posted by IGOTRBO
OK I now have the following, what should I do next with $800

Helix up / down pipe
Blitz Nur Catback exhaust
Blitz BOV
NX Ntercooler kit
the resignator removed
alternator pulley
short throw shifter

Any sugestions would be helpfull, Thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
i get it now, thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally posted by tyler_q
Just to let everyone know what I know because I used to be confused on the whole reflash thing. As far as Cobb goes, you just have to buy the initial chip. Depending on what mods you have, nearly stock, the chip will be flashed to a stage 1. If you get more mods then a reflash is 20$. Depending on your mods, a Stage 2 may be what is needed. If you have the Access Port, you can change the maps on your chip without sending your chips to Cobb to tune. I live by Cobb, so I can just go in for a reflash. Other chips may be able to be reflached at other areas, but Cobbs is only tunable via them or the access port, which sounds like it is a hand held device or something.
When you say chip you mean the ecu right? From what Ive read you have to send in your ecu if you dont have an Accessport.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
VIP Member

When you go for ECU tuning from Cobb they have stage 1 which is stock, it will work with catback and up-pipe. Stage 2 is when you have a full turbo back. Now to the actual ECUs. When you hav them reflash your ECU, then you render your WRX useless for about 3 days, they reflash it and send it back to you. With the access port it is a handheld device that plugs into the port that is below your steering wheel. It holds 10 different maps, Valet, anti-auto theft, stage1, stage 2, race, economy and others. Cheers

WRX Rush
Old 03-24-2004, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Re: Re: What To Mod Next???

Originally posted by WRX Rush
Do the up-pipe. I guess if you like the Blitz go with it, make sure you hear it before hand to make sure you like it. Go with the blow off valve. Check out others. No nitrous, not because it is rice, because of the harm you are doing for a mere 2.4 seconds of good acceleration (Wait until the bottom where I can explain more) The resinator being removed isn't too much money and definatly stay with the stock intake. Alternator pulleys don't do too much, what I would do (and what I did) was I did the AutoSpeedPerformance Lightened (not underdriven) crank pulley. World of difference, I wouldnt take it off for the world. Definatly a short throw shifter. I love my STi, but others are good as well. I hear B&M has a good one. Also think about getting your ecu reflashed or purchasing a Cobb Access Port, it will put more horses into your car . . . . you will be able to beat any civic with as much nos as they can handle, you will be running safer, faster, and stronger. For more info on all this go to www.subarureview.com

Good Luck
WRX Rush

No offence, but did you read his entire post? He already has the BOV. The NX Ntercooler is not for the motor, its for the intercooler(Basically freezes it). Your right about the uppipe though.

IGOTRBO-- I would just get the stage two reflash and uppipe for now. Later if you add too many mods Ecutek, and Piggybacks are another way to go but those definatley benifit from individual tuning.

Last edited by wrx10404; 03-24-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:00 PM
VIP Member

I must have missed something , I was multi-tasking, sorry for being dumb. . . .now to the real stuff.

I would reconsider going with the Nitrous Ntercooler. I think a C02 system would be better, Nitrous is really expensive these days, Good luck

WRX Rush
Old 03-24-2004, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Power is nothing without handling
Save up a bit and spend it on new wheels and tires, or suspension bits if you already have upgraded wheels and tires. Braking components are also a good choice. That's my advice
Old 03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
the accessport get's my vote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Stickers! adds about 5 hp per small one and 10 for the big ricey ones
Old 03-25-2004, 04:20 PM

accessport or new tires and wheels.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Originally posted by Choku Dori
Power is nothing without handling
Save up a bit and spend it on new wheels and tires, or suspension bits if you already have upgraded wheels and tires. Braking components are also a good choice. That's my advice

Word

Quick Reply: What To Mod Next???