Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

STI vs WRX block comparo (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 11:13 AM

Car Info: H6-3.0T+GT35R
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
Yeah baby, keep it coming.

Would someone be kind enough to advise on appx how much an EJ207 short block would run? Also. would that even make sense because one of the real advantages of that motor is the AVCS? Would it be better to just buy the whole thing?
IMHO, buying the 207 short block is not nearly as valuable as getting the heads. The AVCS heads are a noticable difference in both redline, and in airflow. The intake and exhaust openings are larger.

The block are very similar, so if you have time, I would just get JE pistons, and some good rods in a 205 block.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Turboxs_Nathan
Jeff,
Did you happen to take pictures of the actual combustion chambers on the heads? How about the intake and exhaust ports?

By the way, those pistons explain a lot about the STI motors, but I’d like to see how the quench area lines up with the STI heads.

-Nathan

That's a good question. Since the pistons have less dish, but sit a bit lower in the deck (pin in a bit higher), the quench volume is about the same, but the quench shape is different. When we pull Adam's current engine out (soon), I'll get detailed measurements and pictures of the AVCS STI heads vs the regular WRX heads. There may be some other small changes in the head layout that effects the quench area.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:18 PM

If you want to see some mechanical octane in action, go to www.theoldone.com

The second main bearing seat (from the rear) appears to be differant as well. It's also very interesting to hear that the STI has longer rods. I was planning on going with longer rods when I build my motor. With the Rod ratio improvement, the piston speeds will come down a bit, which in turn keeps the combustion chambers cooler. This allows you to run more timing safely, and the motor runs cooler and smoother. I gotta get my hands on one of those cranks now to. Jeff can you measure the STI rod and check to see if there is any difference in deck height?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by DeliciouSpeed
If you want to see some mechanical octane in action, go to www.theoldone.com

The second main bearing seat (from the rear) appears to be differant as well. It's also very interesting to hear that the STI has longer rods. I was planning on going with longer rods when I build my motor. With the Rod ratio improvement, the piston speeds will come down a bit, which in turn keeps the combustion chambers cooler. This allows you to run more timing safely, and the motor runs cooler and smoother. I gotta get my hands on one of those cranks now to. Jeff can you measure the STI rod and check to see if there is any difference in deck height?
I think the bearing seats are the same.. They look different in the picture because one block still has the bearings installed. I'll have both blocks back from getting bored this week, and will post more pictures.

I don't think the STI Rods are any longer? When I was talking about the change in piston design and pin location, I was refering to the offset of the Pin from the top of the piston. I'll take a double measurement on the rods, but they look to be the same length.. Just beefier, and with different endbolts.

I'll get some more pictures together, along with some good pictures of the heads.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Trying to bump these great JDM EJ207 threads.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Imprezer
Trying to bump these great JDM EJ207 threads.

Im glad you did.

thanks.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Those guys never post over here anymore.