Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Some interesting tuning and dyno results!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by vaus
That's cool... I was just questioning possible variables. You still don't mention if Bill had access to a true wide band O2 sensor while tuning your car?

-- Ed
I have no idea if he had access to the o2 sensor or not. I assume what ever tools he used was enough to properly tune my car. I paid good money for the tune so I expect is was done properly and profesionally.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:23 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by wssboard18
I have no idea if he had access to the o2 sensor or not. I assume what ever tools he used was enough to properly tune my car. I paid good money for the tune so I expect is was done properly and profesionally.
Again... was all of Bill's tuning done on the street? If so, then he did not have access to a wideband and that's why your a/f is off quite a bit. I agree with you, that's not a satisfactory tune, but maybe you should have given Bill a chance to correct it on a dyno.

-- Ed
Old 12-03-2004, 03:53 PM

Again... you asked if he used a wideband and I said I did not know. And now to answer your new question, Yes all the tunning was done on the street. He never said it was nessasary to dyno tune it. He said only if I wanted some fine tunning to gain another 5whp at the most to get it dyno tuned.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:59 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by wssboard18
And now to answer your new question, Yes all the tunning was done on the street.
This was the first sentence of my first reply to this thread:
Originally Posted by vaus
Did you ever get the car on the dyno with Bill?

Ok... so Bill road tuned the car w/o a wideband O2...... makes a bit more sense, but I would still think he would shoot for a richer a/f rather than leaner for safety especially if he couldn't monitor it propperly.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with road tuning if you have the propper instrumentation... atleast an EGT gauge and a propper wideband. It seems that Bill didn't have access to these, so the tune was quite a bit off.

-- Ed
Old 12-03-2004, 05:10 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Maybe there's something wrong with your car. I have the same VF22 setup as you do, except I'm still running the stock TMIC. I made 255whp on Gruppe-S's mustang dyno which reads about the same as Shiv's DD dyno. With Bill's road tuning. Do dyno tuning at all. Don't be so quick assume it was a lousy tune.

Last edited by Lurk; 12-03-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Lurk
Maybe there's something wrong with your car. I have the same VF22 setup as you do, except I'm stilling running the stock TMIC. I made 255whp on Gruppe-S's mustang dyno which reads about the same as Shiv's DD dyno. With Bill's road tuning. Do dyno tuning at all. Don't be so quick assume it was a lousy tune.

Good to hear someone step in... I was going to suggest that there may be a mechanical issue at play here, but thought I'd hold off untill someone with personal experience chimed in.

Since your car was running so lean on a tune that should be rich, I'd start looking for vacuume leaks in your intake plumbing, or maybe check out the injectors, fuel pump, FPR, fuel filter, etc.

-- Ed
Old 12-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
While weather does change certain things when it comes to car's behaviour, it will not affect the A/F ratios that much. Your car is more likely to knock during certain weather variations, which has mostly to do with the ignition timing, not A/F.

WRX uses MAS to deternine the airflow. Mass Airflow, which is volume times density. With outside temperature changing, the air density changes and volume stays the same. So, MAS readings chnage and your ECU compensates for that change. Plus, stock MAS has a temperature sensor in there. Tuning is tuning. Unless it is a race tune, I personally would expect to have my car tuned for year round performance. Not "winter" and "summer" tunes.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:39 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Alex,
you're completely right about weather not effecting the a/f ratio... atleast not as signficantly as that dyno may imply. In my post, I was simply referring to total tuned power output being effected significantly with differing weather conditions. I also warned about tunes done in the winter or on a very cold night... as I've had experience with a winter tune that started knocking hard as soon as the weather warmed up.

-- Ed
Old 12-04-2004, 04:30 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Oh, I see. No harm done anyways. Just wanted to clear something things up.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lurk
Maybe there's something wrong with your car. I have the same VF22 setup as you do, except I'm still running the stock TMIC. I made 255whp on Gruppe-S's mustang dyno which reads about the same as Shiv's DD dyno. With Bill's road tuning. Do dyno tuning at all. Don't be so quick assume it was a lousy tune.
There is nothing wrong with my car, (BIll never mentioned that there could be somehting wrong with my car, in fact he said he loved the port and polish that Lic did on my turbo. He said it was easier to control the boost.) I made 250whp on Shiv's dyno, which is right in the range of where my horse power should be. As I said in my previous posts I did not do any dyno tuning and that could be a reason why the tune wasnt up to par. Although Bill never told me I had to get dyno tuned to get the power I wanted out of my car. I had it dyno tuned when I went to Shivs. I did not go back to BIll b/c I was upset at the #'s it put down and had already put over 3 hrs and over $300 into tuning with Bill. So I went back to Shiv to get tuned who I have had great results with from previous tunes.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Then that's good for you. As long as you're happy with your car.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 2008 White STi Hatch
I am no expert here, but this is what I noticed:
In your I-speed tune, your max boost is around 16.8 psi
In your Vishnu tune, you max boost is at 18psi

One psi of boost can make a huge difference
Maybe bill@I-speed road tuned your car on the safe side
And Shiv@Vishnu retuned your car more aggressively by raising the boost pressure a bit??

Again, if I am totally wrong, please forgive me…I am just wondering about the difference
Old 12-04-2004, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by broom_dude
I am no expert here, but this is what I noticed:
In your I-speed tune, your max boost is around 16.8 psi
In your Vishnu tune, you max boost is at 18psi

One psi of boost can make a huge difference
Maybe bill@I-speed road tuned your car on the safe side
And Shiv@Vishnu retuned your car more aggressively by raising the boost pressure a bit??

Again, if I am totally wrong, please forgive me…I am just wondering about the difference
I know there are different factors for each of the tunes and i understand that. I have heard that you can make max or more power while tuning on the dyno as aposed to just road tuning. My main problem is that the dyno result was less that what I had before i upgraded my turbo. 209whp pre vf22 vs. 206whp post vf22. Like i said before that i would have been satified with only 225whp or so. Atleast it was more hp than what i had before.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 2008 White STi Hatch
That’s true, it’s interesting that you got less hp than before the vf22 upgrade
(I dynoed 233whp@ Vishnu with my vf29,STi TMIC, uppipe and catback)

I am just wondering how the road tune work?
I mean, what did Bill do to tune your car? WOT runs on the street?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by broom_dude
That’s true, it’s interesting that you got less hp than before the vf22 upgrade
(I dynoed 233whp@ Vishnu with my vf29,STi TMIC, uppipe and catback)

I am just wondering how the road tune work?
I mean, what did Bill do to tune your car? WOT runs on the street?
Yes wide open runs ussaully starting around 3k rpms in each gear. Mostly concentrating on 3rd and 4th though. I hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Some interesting tuning and dyno results!!