Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

shopping for boost gauge

Old 10-01-2003, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan
shopping for boost gauge

What is the preferred gauge? Is the one offered by Subaru worth it? I would hate to paste that thing to mt steering column if it is just a "gadget." I have used Autometer tachs when I used to bracket race, always had no problems....are their boost gauges any good? What about STACK? They seem to have a nice setup, check it out:

http://www.stackinc.com/boost.html

What accurate gauge are you using?

Thank you,
Old 10-01-2003, 09:13 PM

ive always been told that electronic is the way to go. i didnt go with a stock gauge becuase its too small, pricey, and i didnt like the placement of it. the greddy electronic boost gauge matches nicely with the interior of the WRX and also is very accurate.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:35 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The stock guage is a good piece except for being overpriced and too small to easily read while you're at speed. I would go with Omori, they are among the best you could get.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Omori boost gauge over here. Workin' great!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan
Thanks all.....I'll look into Omori.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:08 AM

blitz gauges are very nice
Old 10-02-2003, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
At one time I'd recommend Omori. But there are so many problems with this company (not just Omori-NA). I've heard many, many stories about quality issues, warranty issues, etc., including having some of my own. Yes, some people have great experiences with them. But you know, its just not worth the risk.

I agree with the trend towards electric gauges. However, for boost gauges, its such a simple gauge and such a fast changing parameter that unless I was considering a boost gauge which had data logging capability I'd rather go with mechanical. Greatly reduces the cost. I have 3 gauges, two are electrical and the boost is mechanical. With oil and exhaust temp gauges its good to have senders since it keeps these potentially hazardous substances out of your cab. A leaky boost line in the cab isn't such a big health risk.

One thing that helps to have a mechanical boost gauge is to have a turbo timer that has a peak boost feature

jason
Old 10-02-2003, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by mmboost
At one time I'd recommend Omori. But there are so many problems with this company (not just Omori-NA). I've heard many, many stories about quality issues, warranty issues, etc
I wasn't aware of any issues with Omori-Japan. The company that "used" to handle the NA distribution had an unresolvable issue with Omori-Japan. However, there are resllers popping up again here in the states. As far as I know, Omori still makes some of the gauges that GReddy sells (hence the similar look).

Anyhow, I have 3 Omori gauges and couldn't be happier.

- Kean
Old 10-02-2003, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
i love my OEM. except that stupid white light in the back doesn't match my dash.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:27 AM

Car Info: 04 aspen white sti
Defi, very nice
Old 10-03-2003, 11:06 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Kean
I wasn't aware of any issues with Omori-Japan. The company that "used" to handle the NA distribution had an unresolvable issue with Omori-Japan. However, there are resllers popping up again here in the states. As far as I know, Omori still makes some of the gauges that GReddy sells (hence the similar look).

Anyhow, I have 3 Omori gauges and couldn't be happier.

- Kean
Omori Japan is part of the problem.

All repairs and replacements go thru Japan since they're made there. Having to pay both ways shipping for a warranty replacement which ends up costing more than the gauge itself, require by Omori Japan, is not worth the hassle. Basically they wont honor a warranty unless you buy it directly from Japan... but if you're not in Japan they've locked down their sales so that you can only by from the country where the sale originates. Who the hell knows why.

I have all this confirmed in e-mails from Omori-Malaysia, Omori-NA and Omori Japan (from good old Mr. Cibrian). Omori Japan doesn't give a crap and they've basically told me so. Retail is like drops in the bucket. Appearantly they make gauges for large automakers and that's where their bread and butter comes from. I believe that when they realized entering more of the retail market brings along retail issues with it, they felt it was too much of a hassel. All existing customers are hung out to dry.

Also, the 45mm gauges I bought (3 just like you) are not nearly the vibrant colors displayed on the various, official Omori websites. And to boot, the 45mms are notoriously dim! They are so dark I had to turn down my console lights so that my eyes would constantly strain when trying to see the Omori gauges. See how bright the clock is in comparison?!

If I had to do it all over, I would not choose Omori, even though the larger Omori gauges have better lighting. The BS ain't worth it

Just search for Omori on NASIOC and you'll find tons of complaints.

jason
Old 10-03-2003, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by mmboost
Omori Japan is part of the problem.

All repairs and replacements go thru Japan since they're made there. Having to pay both ways shipping for a warranty replacement which ends up costing more than the gauge itself, require by Omori Japan, is not worth the hassle. Basically they wont honor a warranty unless you buy it directly from Japan... but if you're not in Japan they've locked down their sales so that you can only by from the country where the sale originates. Who the hell knows why.

I have all this confirmed in e-mails from Omori-Malaysia, Omori-NA and Omori Japan (from good old Mr. Cibrian). Omori Japan doesn't give a crap and they've basically told me so. Retail is like drops in the bucket. Appearantly they make gauges for large automakers and that's where their bread and butter comes from. I believe that when they realized entering more of the retail market brings along retail issues with it, they felt it was too much of a hassel. All existing customers are hung out to dry.

Also, the 45mm gauges I bought (3 just like you) are not nearly the vibrant colors displayed on the various, official Omori websites. And to boot, the 45mms are notoriously dim! They are so dark I had to turn down my console lights so that my eyes would constantly strain when trying to see the Omori gauges. See how bright the clock is in comparison?!

If I had to do it all over, I would not choose Omori, even though the larger Omori gauges have better lighting. The BS ain't worth it

Just search for Omori on NASIOC and you'll find tons of complaints.

jason
hmmmm. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have the 52mm gauges so I can't relate to the dimming problem you have. I've been a frequent visitor to NASIOC for a couple of years (started posting when I got my WRX back in Sept '02). I didn't realize anyone was having the problems you described (like I said.....it's news to me). I did a search using the keywords "Omori warranty", but only tuned up 18 posts from the last year. Most them were regarding the problems a lot of people experienced when Omori NA had their falling out with Omori Japan. Omori NA handled the whole situation very poorly and lied to their customers (including me).

Anyhow, regarding the warranty........folks may want to keep in mind that it really makes a difference where you purchase your Omori gauges. Gruppe-S will honor the manufacturer's warranty (you return the unit to them instead of Omori directly). I think the only official dealers (currently) for Omori in the U.S. are Gruppe-S & J-Spec. OmoriUSA handles U.S. distribution now (http://www.omoriusa.com/). They're not affiliated with Omori NA. I wouldn't buy an Omori gauge from any other source.

- Kean
Old 10-06-2003, 04:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by J-Spec
Let's clear one thing up once and for all. WE DO NOT GET OUR OMORI GAUGES FROM OMORI NA. WE HAVE NO ASSOCIATION WITH OMORI NA. I apologize for the experience you've had with Omori NA, but please don't generalize this to make it seem like all dealers of Omori Meter products have the same issue.
Thaison

Hmm... well. Thaison, I haven't made such a generalization about Omori dealers. I am making a statement about Omori Japan, the manufacturer. If you see a generalization in there, you're reading into it. Sorry, man. I trust you. I've done business with you. My beef used to be with Omori-NA... a long time ago. Until Omori Japan told me I was screwed and that they would do nothing to help me unless I was willing to pay. Responsibility for poor manufacturing lies with the manufacterer. I was basically told by Omori Japan to suck it up because of their own manufacturing mistake.

I wouldn't purchase Omori gauges through anyone now because who's to say that if there was an issue, it would be fixed? I don't mean refunds... I mean FIXED. Wrongly colored, incorrectly calibrated and poorly lit gauges isn't Omori-NA's fault. Its Omori Japan's fault. (In fact Omori-NA sent me a copy of the order it send to Omori Japan within days after I placed my order and everything was correct!) So then, why shouldn't Omori Japan help me out on their own dime? That whole episode with Omori-NA, no matter how bad Omori-NA may have been, it was a round-robin of passing the buck and shruging responsibilty for many warranty issues... and all parties invovled know it. Come on.

Omori Japan should have sucked it up, admitted to making a bad decision in teaming up with Omori-NA and just fixed the problems and saved their reputation.

jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shopping for boost gauge