Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Running rich with a SSQV

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
Running rich with a SSQV

I wanted to get a HKS SSQV for my 2005 WRX, I love the sound. I know theres really no gains from it but I've been reading that it will sometimes run rich?? is this true? Anyone have any personal experience or reccomendations. I know I don't need it but I go crazy when I hear it (in a good way ). O yeah i'm stock but will be soon picking up a Accessport.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:20 PM

bovs do nothing except make sound. there's no need for it. yes it will make your car run rich and you will have a decrease in gas mileage
Old 03-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
thanks, yeah I found a good thread on this, on NASIOC http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=468038 I think I might just leave it for now... doesn't sound like too good of an idea.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:01 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrx
its very true what bov does to subarus w/o proper tuning but it not doing anything? i did have a forge bov for a month and was susprised how much lag was deceased from it inbetween shift, but ill still stick to the stock one or atleast if i must have one, probably go with a 50/50 vent.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:05 AM

I was going to say a Hybrid running 50/50 should be alright, if you must have one. GFB makes the WRX Hybird which I hear is good, people havn't been running rich and the MAF is fine. One guy stated that his Cobb AP stage 2 map was making him run a little rich, but before he got the AP the BOV was fine for 2 years.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
i been running HKS SSQV on my 05 wrx for close to 1.5 years.. no problems at all.
and i love the sound

yes i'm a ricer.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
i've been running a Sard R2D2 [100%]..

yay for fireballs! HAHAHAHAH
Old 03-15-2006, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
bov=MPG waaaaaay down

when it lets out the air into the atmosphere the engine thinks there is going to be more air in the system than there is, therefore there IS going to be more fuel than there should be. The stock BPV will hold up to ~21 psi of boost, so unless youre above that, you dont need to upgrade
Old 03-19-2006, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX WRB
Originally Posted by MBasile
bov=MPG waaaaaay down

when it lets out the air into the atmosphere the engine thinks there is going to be more air in the system than there is, therefore there IS going to be more fuel than there should be. The stock BPV will hold up to ~21 psi of boost, so unless youre above that, you dont need to upgrade

actually ive been running it since thanksgiving break and i haven't really noticed any real drop in MPG (HKS ssq bov) also i think the drop in performance is blown out of proportion, sure your car runs rich but only for that split second. personally my car's performance is fine and i love the fireballs. as for the mpg, even if theres loss in mpg that can also come from spirited driving even without a bov so overall i feel its just personal preference, if you like the sound and fireballs get one, if you don't then don't.

*edit* btw mods on my 05wrx are:
helix up/downpipe
perrin turbo inlet pipe
helix catback exhaust
HKS ssqbov
Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru
nevermind

Last edited by IGotTheGray_i; 03-22-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
Originally Posted by KronikInsomniaK
actually ive been running it since thanksgiving break and i haven't really noticed any real drop in MPG (HKS ssq bov) also i think the drop in performance is blown out of proportion, sure your car runs rich but only for that split second. personally my car's performance is fine and i love the fireballs. as for the mpg, even if theres loss in mpg that can also come from spirited driving even without a bov so overall i feel its just personal preference, if you like the sound and fireballs get one, if you don't then don't.

helix up/downpipe
perrin turbo inlet pipe
helix catback exhaust
HKS ssqbov
+1..
Old 03-23-2006, 10:57 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
I miss mine
Old 03-23-2006, 09:27 PM

Car Info: jdm clean
i love mine
Old 03-24-2006, 12:43 AM

Car Info: 2003 ASPEN WHITE WRX
Originally Posted by KronikInsomniaK

helix up/downpipe
perrin turbo inlet pipe
helix catback exhaust
HKS ssqbov

pretty much what he said bout the personal preference...if you like the loud sound and the attention that it brings than go for it...if not then go with a recirculation valve..no biggie...i love my RFL btw,,haha
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Bov

I had a Blitz DD on my 05 STi for about 6 months and really liked the sound. But I started noticing weird **** going on with the ECU. BOV's confuse your ecu and throw off ratios that are critical to your engines maximum performance. You may not notice it (only in between shifts) but I think its all bad for your motor. Like what was stated before in this thred:

You only need a BOV if you are running high PSI. Like over 18 or 19. Then there is a need for it, not to damage your turbo. But stock doesnt need it.

Whats more important to you? A cool sound or your car running at top performance?
Ill let you make the call. Hope that helps.

laterz,

E

Quick Reply: Running rich with a SSQV