Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

A real tech Question! Power Surges.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 Sooby WRX (not runing right)
Question A real tech Question! Power Surges.

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX with 57000 miles.

The problem is when its in 3-5'th gear under high load theres power surging on and off constantly. It dosent feel right. I have owned 2 WRX's and just baught this one. The drivetrain also makes alot more noise than normal, and its not bearings. Im hoping the synthetic gear oil I just picked up will fix that.

The air filter is K&N and looks clean besides a darker spot in the center, but thats normal, Not sure if the plugs have ever been replaced or not, I picked up some NGK Platnium laser something plugs. and I got a new fuel filter. I might as well do a 60k service and hope this helps.

Anyone have any other ideas what this might be?
All stock except a HKS BoV.

Turbo shows slight signs of tampering. so may have had a boost controler or something. waste gate clip was replaced with a non OE clip. im hoping the turbos not bad or something.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 PM

forgot to mention. no the AC isnt on, I know the WRX surges on and off due to AC compressor coming on and off, and its turned off so you can X that idea out :P who in their right mind floors the car with the ac compressor on anyway.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Do you have a boost gauge? If so what is the boost doing?

Has the car been reflashed?

Perhaps the BOV is leaking?

Mike
Old 03-05-2005, 05:13 PM

It dosent have a boost gauge. the ECU may be reflashed, i have no clue to tell you the truth. as for the BoV... I guess I would need to get a stock one to install and test if that fixes it.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
BOV needs to go
Old 03-07-2005, 09:51 PM

you think BOV is causing the problem?

theres an adjustable nut on the back of the other side of the BOV, what does this do??
Old 03-08-2005, 12:31 AM

as far as i know, the hks ssqv can not be adjusted, so i would recommend going back to the stock BOV and see if you can fix the problem that way . good luck
Old 03-08-2005, 07:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
thats funny ive been having this same problem and mike i have a boost gauge the boost is actually falling then rising when your feeling the surge

ive been meaning to come into gruppes for a while but i work so damn much

as for mods im cattless with a full exhaust hks bov and samco hoses

i am going to replace my bov with a stock one

the only other thing i can think of is that i did do some ajustments to the wastegate arm a while back and now that i have a full exhasut the less back pressure is causing the surge

^ mike could this be the problem also?
edgar,

Last edited by zumnwrx; 03-08-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Talking

Maybe all we need to do is throw a 30psi turbo upgrade on there and a 200 shot of nitro and the power surges will go away

Although my wastegate looks tampered with, the E Clip on the turbo side of the rod looks to not be stock...
Old 03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
alright i found time today to reinstall the stock bov... and wallah! problem solved

so whats making my hks bov fail? and is there anything i can do to fix it? or is it just junk now??? links?
edgar,
Old 03-08-2005, 05:14 PM

junk!!! you need a adjustable 50/50 that can change back into a recirculating BOV, and you should also get it tune .. preferably when you get a front mount that way you can tune it together.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:14 PM

the only thing I can think of is maybe our BOV's cant hold the turbo preassure and is pissing some preasure off then it builds back up and it pisses back out. this would cause our power surges. maybe the BoV just cant hold the high boost the WRX has.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 AM

UPDATE: I fixed the problem.

First I got a stock BOV and piping. and replaced it with the stock BOV, that seemed to help alittle bit, but It still didnt feel right, so I installed a boost gauge, ok boost is normal, then I look around the turbo area one day and notice the T connector... one of the tubes (the one going to the sensor for the ECU) was loose and it looked like it was leaking boost, so I clamped it, and the car runs great! full power, no more hesitation, and no more detonating. Im guessing the ECU didnt know the car had boost and was probibly not giving the car more gas to compensate for more boost and thats a huge problem. So if anyone is having this same problem check that first!!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:07 PM

I am going to make this post live again, still having problems...

My car makes a loud pinging noise at higher rpm under load. sounds bad. and the car dosent seem to have enough power. especialy when its hot outside...if its raining and cold my car is as fast as it should be, when it is hot. it is a dog. a mini van passed me yesterday on an on ramp... it was 85 degrees outside. that really pissed me off :P I dont like having a gutless **** can when its hot outside, and a fast car when its cold.... What do i need to do?? is it the MAF sensor sending odd readings?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by aloose
I am going to make this post live again, still having problems...

My car makes a loud pinging noise at higher rpm under load. sounds bad. and the car dosent seem to have enough power. especialy when its hot outside...if its raining and cold my car is as fast as it should be, when it is hot. it is a dog. a mini van passed me yesterday on an on ramp... it was 85 degrees outside. that really pissed me off :P I dont like having a gutless **** can when its hot outside, and a fast car when its cold.... What do i need to do?? is it the MAF sensor sending odd readings?
Sounds like you need a tune, try contacting one of your local reputable Scooby shops they should be able to set you straight.

Mike

Quick Reply: A real tech Question! Power Surges.