Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

OL/CL Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:47 AM

Car Info: 05 CGM Wrx Wagon
OL/CL Question

Been lurking but havent posted yet... Just got an 05 WRX Wagon a couple weeks ago and I seem to be experiencing the same problem as everyone else at around 4000rpm with the horrible lag. Right now Im running 87 octane because...well...gas is real expensive. Question is: will switching to 93 octane cure or help cure the problem or will the problem only be fixed by switching to 93 octane AND getting an accessport?

I have not started modding yet, but as far as the engine goes, the most mods I will ever likely have will be a TBE, Uppipe, engine management, and reliablity mods, hence why I am looking at the accessport over any other engine management options...not to mention...I dont know of a single AWD dyno within a reasonable distance from Nashville, TN.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
Stop being cheap on the gas...you bought a WRX not a Civic. 87 may very well damage your engine.

Yes 93 will feel MUCH better.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
using 87 octane is hurting your engine (detonation) and saving you barely anything at the pump. It clearly states on the gas cap to use only premium!! Using 93 will give you much better results. Seriously, I would give up my pinky toe for 93, in CA the best we got is 91, and my engine pings on that!!

ok, back to your turbo lag question. the gas wont do anything for lag, but your idea of upipe, turboback and accessport is right on!! It will make lag almost non-existent.

In the meantime drive your car like a granny with that 87 s*** or dump in some 100 octane to even it out

Good Luck!