Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

newbie w/ lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 10:46 PM

mattr762 made up a really good comparo of all the performance packages out there that run from about $1000-3000 and should get your car in that low to mid 13 range. Matt even put 1/4 mile times on there for us. Pretty impressive how cheap it is really.

The turbo timer works by actually keeping the engine on for a set amount of time after you take the key out of the ignition, then it automatically shuts it down so you don't have to sit around and wait.

12.1 I think is the stock level for boost settings; I haven't heard of many people going over 16psi. A manual (or electronic) boost controller will do just that, control the boost. It won't change some of the things a 'chip' will, such as spark timing, fuel maps, etc. The chips pretty much do the work for you, taking them, I believe, to about 14-15 pounds of boost.

btw: matt...thanks for that comparo, and your site its super helpful everyone should check it out...I am gonna try and copy your mattspec one of these days (in my own way of course...)
Old 05-26-2003, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
there might be some chips that can change boost...im not sure about that so someone pleace correct me if im wrong
Old 05-26-2003, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

yea it would be worth it to buy a MBC to control boost yourself
Old 05-26-2003, 11:56 PM

i disagree...I think companies like cobb tune their chips for maximum performance, while still maintaining safety and reliablity...not to mention keeping all other parameters in check to compensate for added boost. Sure, you could get a manual controller, but why spend the extra money, unless you've got tons and just want something new to fiddle with? You won't safely want to put much more boost in anyways, unless you run higher octane fuel. I know APR makes a 'flip switch' for VW and Audi 1.8t motors, that are able to run low boost, 'valet' mode, as well as high boost race fuel modes, all from the cruise control switch. Do any subaru tuners do this?
Old 05-27-2003, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

well maybe if he emailed the companies (cobb maybe) and asked them??
Old 05-27-2003, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

http://www.scoobytuner.com/tuning/?tuningID=4

that should help a lot...
Old 05-28-2003, 12:27 PM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
the word chip is thrown around in this thread alot, but really, it should NOT, as there are NO chip for the wrx......there are piggy back units you can buy, such as the old unichip, the newer and better UTEC....then, there are stand alone controller, such as autronics and TEC3.....and finally, there are ecu reflashes, such as cobb access ecu, and ecutek

if you want a reliable, daily driven 13 sec car, here's what you'll need:

go completely catless, up, dp and midpipe
get a good exhaust, prodrive, vishnu, etc
engine management, either reflash or utec(utec is if you like to tinker w/the car. if you don't have to time, get it reflash)
also, some supporting mods: intercooler hoses, engine and tranny mounts, boost gauge, egt gauge, at mininum a boost gauge

as for the mbc, don't mess w/it unless u have at least a boost gauge and intercooler hoses. ptfb will cause for some high egt and knock....it's cheap for the amount of gain, but not worth it if you're not familar w/turbos
Old 05-28-2003, 12:57 PM
VIP Member

well if u go catless u will have to put in something with a cat to pass emissions
Old 05-29-2003, 07:29 AM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
Originally posted by awns729
well if u go catless u will have to put in something with a cat to pass emissions
i'd like to see a low 13 sec wrx that passes emission