Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

New Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 2006 Hyundai Sonata...for now
I don't have a WRX yet, but I was thinking about the same mods including the VR34. I think you just need the bigger fuel injectors and the fuel pump for the turbo. Gruppe-s website has the full VR34 package for around $1250. I was going to do the up and down pipes, and exhaust also. I would do it at the same time so the ECU just needs to be flashed once (unless you get a kit to do it yourself whenever you want). Am I missing something with the turbo upgrade that you found out?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:27 PM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
people usually buy an uppipe because it has no cat (for faster spool time, and safer when increasing boost) ......if you were to just buy one with a cat it would be like changing stock for stock.....

no cats for aftermarket up/down pipes.

oh and a turboback exhaust includes a down pipe.

also i have uppipe/turboback exhaust no cats w/reflash. never did smell those different things your talking about.

suggestion: put in the uppipe/turboback exhaust first(with or with a reflash). get used to the car first then if you need more power. think about the VF-34 turbos.

hope this helps.
-ROB
Old 11-14-2004, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Just an aside, but there are some models of downpipe that include a high-flow cat if you're concerned about emissions.

It'd probably be wise to just start off with a downpipe and catback (i.e. turboback) or downpipe and uppipe combo. Then when you get used to it, consider other power mods. Also, some form of engine management is very useful.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

1. Turboback exhausts consist of a downpipe and a catback (technically, there is also a section called the midpipe between the downpipe and catback, but it's usually already included with the downpipe so few people mention it specifically).
2. How concerned are you about emissions? If you're in CA like I am, just know that any exhaust mods from the engine to the catalytic converter are essentially illegal. Uppipe, downpipe w/cat, and catback could perhaps pass emissions standards in CA, but there's a law that states that stock cats cannot be removed OR replaced so
3. If I recally correctly, new gaskets should come with most exhaust components. If not, you can buy a set yourself.
4. A reflash is one form of engine management. Other popular forms are UTEC, Accesport, etc. Adventurous tuners (especially ones more oriented to Japanese-style tuning) often use "magic boxes" like Greddy e-manage and HKS F-Con, etc. I'm not too knowledgeable about specific engine management though, so it'd be best if you browsed the Engine Management section of the forum.

Last edited by Choku Dori; 11-15-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:56 PM

dont know much about emissions laws, like about what would pass the sniffer tests.

but about the uppipe gaskets. you should replace them with new ones. my PDE uppipe did not come with new gaskets ,so i just used the old ones. i guess since the car was still practically brand new it didnt leak.

engine management: utec, access port, ecu-tec, etc. all reflash the ecu.
i wouldnt recommend piggyback engine managment like: s-afc ,etc.
the ecu would just eventually learn around piggybacks.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:26 PM
VIP Member

Yes, a complete exahust setup would consist of (headers) -> uppipe -> downpipe (-> midpipe) -> catback

With the up and downpipe plus catback, you'll be making a healthy dose of power; enough to make the WRX quite formidable in my opinion.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 PM

if your interested in buying the Helix up/down combo......check out the vendor forums: https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-group-buys-specials-146/helix-finally-79031/

try PMing them about the gaskets question.

oh and i live in Hawaii and we dont have any emissions laws. so i wouldnt know anything about that sorry. try a search or maybe posting in your reginal forums ??
Old 11-16-2004, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
having personally gone from a stock car to a full on vf34 setup, i would recommend going with a staged approach.

1: engine management of your choice (reflash, accessport, utec, etc...). this sets you up nicely for future mods if you decide you want more power.

2: add up-pipe and turboback and get your engine management re-tuned. this is as far as you can go on the stock fuel system, and will give very quick spool and pretty decent power. this also sets you up for a turbo and fuel system upgrade if you want more power.

3: add a larger turbo, fuel injectors, fuel pump, and get your engine management re-tuned. this is about as far as you can take the stock engine and transmission and still have a reliable, quick, smooth daily driver.

most vendors have different stage numbers for this... vishnu is stage 0, stage 1, and stage 2. cobb is stage 1, stage 2, and stage 2.5.

if at any point, you have reached the power level you want or are comfortable with, call it done and start paying attention to other areas of the car. when increasing power, tire and brake upgrades are always a good idea.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
RussB is right on target. I have an uppipe and TBE(turboback) and a Cobb stage 2. I would recomend some suspension mods and tires and brakes. I have upgraded the springs the rear swaybar and the Wheels and tires to 17". I feel now that i have enogh power to get myself into trouble very quickly. I am going to upgrade my brakes next. More power is nice but handleing and breaking is very important.

Quick Reply: New Turbo.