i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/)
-   -   my exhaust smelling like rotten eggs????! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/my-exhaust-smelling-like-rotten-eggs-81763/)

fliped wrx 12-05-2004 12:46 PM

my exhaust smelling like rotten eggs????!

hey guys..am having a real big problem..everytime i drive the crap out of my car it always smells like rotten eggs from my exhaust..is this bad or good?..people say my car is running rich?...is that true..if so umm how do i not make it run rich...also my car seems about to die out somtimes when i rev it when i just had warmed up the car...i have mods such as..greddy type s bov open atmospheric, apexi gt spec exhaust and aem cai....
`thanks kevo

Imprezer 12-05-2004 12:53 PM

What kind of exhaust do you have?
How long have you had it for?

fliped wrx 12-05-2004 01:01 PM

smelly

I have a apex gt spec exhaust..also..it was smelling before when i had gapped my stock exhaust..this only happens when i drive it hella hard or rev it hella hard

Lurk 12-05-2004 03:24 PM

It's probably coming from the cats. Sometimes they make that smell. Smells like sulfur right? I say you go catless. ;)

dynamicprojeKtz 12-05-2004 04:32 PM

if it smells like rotten eggs i believe your cat's out

Smooth_Ej20 12-05-2004 08:17 PM

just removed my cats and it stinks too. not really like rotten eggs but it friggin reaks when i drive hard, nothings wrong with my car.

WRX Rush 12-05-2004 09:04 PM

No nothing is wrong with your car, and don't worry, you smell that enough times your sense of smell dies out enough to where it doesn't bother you as much :)

Rush

Choku Dori 12-05-2004 10:57 PM

Even with just a (muffler delete) axleback, my car reeks pretty badly sometimes. No worries, just don't let Johnny Law catch a whiff of that bad boy ;)

fliped wrx 12-06-2004 04:36 PM

whoohoo

arite thanks for all the help you guys...maybe then i will go catless..maybe a downpipe..i guess i'm about to go with the helix..just gotta find one..
thanks

Wingless Wonder 12-07-2004 01:19 AM

[quote][size=1][color=gray][i]Origami posted by [b]fliped wrx[/b][/i][/color]
[font=Arial][color=royalblue]everytime i drive the crap out of my car it always smells like rotten eggs from my exhaust..is this bad or good?..people say my car is running rich?
[/color][/font][/size][/quote]If your car is running that rich, you'll see black smoke out of the exhaust when you get hard on the throttle under load. Try replacing your BOV with the stock bypass valve (hook up ALL hoses - don't leave any open ports). A properly adjusted BOV shouldn't give you any problems but it doesn't add any performance to a car with your mods, either.

[size=1][color=skyblue]--
0==[color=blue]WW[/color]==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush[/color][/size]

RussB 12-07-2004 12:16 PM

i thought running rich left soot in the tailpipe and on the muffler and smelled like unburnt gas. isn't the rotten egg smell from lean?

SpeedyWRX02 12-07-2004 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=fliped wrx]hey guys..am having a real big problem..everytime i drive the crap out of my car it always smells like rotten eggs from my exhaust..is this bad or good?..people say my car is running rich?...is that true..if so umm how do i not make it run rich...also my car seems about to die out somtimes when i rev it when i just had warmed up the car...i have mods such as..greddy type s bov open atmospheric, apexi gt spec exhaust and aem cai....
`thanks kevo[/QUOTE]

the rotten egg smell is from the cats from running rich. The WRX comes rich from the factory as is and you coupled it with a atmospheric BOV. In between shifts it causes a rich condition since the ECU expects the air to be recirculated back into the intake (after the MAF) and adds fuel for this expected extra air (which it doesn't get). I read about a guy who melted his uppipe cat from just an atmospheric BOV.

Also the CAI isn't going to help much. It'll give you HP, but it causes you to run leaner than normal. On an otherwise stock WRX you won't have much of a problem but I would get some sort of engine management to control the AFRs with that CAI if you plan on modding more. It causes you to run lean due to changing the airflow characteristics and the pipe diamater where the MAF is located.

imprezd707 12-08-2004 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=SpeedyWRX02]the rotten egg smell is from the cats from running rich. The WRX comes rich from the factory as is and you coupled it with a atmospheric BOV. In between shifts it causes a rich condition since the ECU expects the air to be recirculated back into the intake (after the MAF) and adds fuel for this expected extra air (which it doesn't get). I read about a guy who melted his uppipe cat from just an atmospheric BOV.

Also the CAI isn't going to help much. It'll give you HP, but it causes you to run leaner than normal. On an otherwise stock WRX you won't have much of a problem but I would get some sort of engine management to control the AFRs with that CAI if you plan on modding more. It causes you to run lean due to changing the airflow characteristics and the pipe diamater where the MAF is located.[/QUOTE]

SEE I TOLD U KEV.......