Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

"Maximum Boost"

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
"Maximum Boost"

For those wanting to get alittle more knowledge about the workings of a turbo system and explanations of modifications,picking turbos,engine management... "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell is a great read and very informative.It even explains how to build and design your own turbo system.I used this book to turbocharge my S-10 pickup.It can usually be found at Borders or Barnes&Noble.Highly recommended.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I used to really like this book until I started doing my own tuning. Then I realized just how old school it is. There are so many important concepts NOT in this book and so many superfluous things left out. Don't get me wrong... its an awesome book and a fun read and you'll learn a lot. Its just that having a modern factory turbo car really surpasses the scope of the this book.

jason
Old 10-11-2004, 01:20 PM

I agree on that level,it is a bit out dated.I think for the beginners it will bring them up to speed real fast on what people are talking about and will help them ask more educated questions and understand the answers more clearly as well.Some people are intimidated to ask questions over and over because they will get flamed or seem stupid.What important info do you feel was left out?

Last edited by Donkey; 10-11-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:04 PM
VIP Member

Pretty much most things on tuning. Given, the book is about building a turbo system from scratch. We don't need to do that. If you want to, this books is somewhat helpful. But if you're at the level of wanting to build your own kit, this book is way too old. If you have a WRX already and want to keep the turbo system you have or get a "kit" like the well proven combos we all know of and many of us have and just want to tune, this book leaves you hanging.

jason
Old 10-12-2004, 01:52 PM

Yeah i see what you mean.I guess when your that point there isn't much literature out there for guidence.Most magazines don't even really touch on those subjects to well.I subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports and Turbo hoping for more"ECU tuning" based articles.Good thing for these forums!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:32 AM
VIP Member

Yeah the forums are the best. But then the smartest folks don't post much here. You learn the most on your own or on specific forums, like wrxhackers.com. My best friend just always seems to know everything about cars, and he learned it through reading magazine articles. I can't understand that as I read (had a subscription to) Turbo, SportCompactCar and ImportTuner and I don't think I learned much relative to what I learned from being on the forums. But as for actual tuning, I got hints and some help here and there, but for the most part it was trial and error and successive epiphanies as things began to make more and more sense. I suspect that even going to a car tech school doesn't teach you what we really want to know. The modifying/tuning business is a black art and probabaly always will be.

jason
Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 PM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
really quick, since were talking about boost overe here. cqan anyone tell me why I my boost is dropping off as it revs out. mods CAI, Turbo back, headers, uppipe AFC AVCR before I put the headers on and had it tuned it was holding boost all the way up. now it pulls hard litteraly no lag but boost is dropping off after around5500. BTW boost is set at 1.20bar nad a duty cycle of
66%