Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Man! Why Again!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Sounds like you have the wrong resistor.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Sarcastic Jackass

Car Info: i drive a beater
Sounds like you need to leave your car alone.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:37 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
ohms law is e=ir :P

(yes Im being picky )
Old 10-21-2003, 06:57 AM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Well, I have to assume that you have some sort of aftermarket exhaust. Correct me if I am wrong, but the CEL you are throwing is a "catalytic efficiency" code, which just says that you are poluting the environment a bit, or in other words, your cat is not working as well as expected.

My understanding is that the front O2 sensor is used to measure the oxygen present in the exhaust, which is a direct measure of how lean/rich your engine is running in real time. The second O2 sensor is used to determine how much O2 is present after the cat, in other words, it measures how much is used in the catalytic converson of various chemicals into their respective oxides. blah, blah... This is done real time as your computer measures the voltage difference between both sensors. If the voltage is shown to be to HIGH at the rear sensor vs. the front, the computer thinks that the cat is broken, and throws a code. The quick fix it to fool the computer by wiring a resistor in line to the second sensor, which will always show a voltage drop when the two voltages are measured.

So, how does this apply to your situation? Well, first I must assume that your vehicle is running normally, just that you have a bastard CEL bugging you all the time. This said, I would assume that either your resister is not dropping the voltage enough. Why, I have no idea. Simple solutions include buying another (im sure there are tons of people that could sell you one cheep that will work), or just put up with the CEL and cuss a bit. I choose method two. I love my subaru, but as a former RS owner and a current WRX owner, Ive found that if you so much as stare of your exhaust the wrong way, you'l get a damn CEL. I have also found that the CEL (we) are getting does nothing to ruin your performance, so Ive learned to ignore it.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2003, 01:19 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally posted by haven77
you physic people, drive me nuts. hehehe, e will work too
electrical engineer :P