Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Just got my 03' rex, car runs hot..please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 08:41 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow Just got my 03' rex, car runs hot..please help.

I just got my 03' rex yesterday! I love it... I have been following the propper break in period procedure... etc, accidently went to about 4500rpm once or twice, only because i couldn't hear anything BUT the motorcylce beside me..lol

Anyways, when I feel my car's hood, it's hot, when I lift the hood open it's hot air coming out... What is the propper procedure on how long a car should sit in idle before shutting the car off? I have been doing it anywhere from about 4-10 minutes? I am going to get the Apexi Auto Turbo Timer, seems to be nice and small and i can mount it right next to the cup holder on the dash.. I saw a picture of that on someone's car and it look great!
Is this normal that the car feels this hot to me?

Also, I have the upgraded security system, how would you go about installing the turbo timer along with the security system? Reason I ask is because when you shut the car off with the turbo timer it is still running, but the car needs to be locked and armed so no one can steel or open my car... that would make me cry :-(

Edit: As far as the temps go they seem normal as far as what the gauge shows... Also when you look right into the engine compartment, there are these silver pipes, pretty big but when I touch them, they are very hot! If I keep my finger on it more than 5 seconds it burns it... how can this be good?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 07-01-2003, 10:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Dude... those silver pipes are the intake manifold and they will be hot, like on any other car. As far as your engine temps go, it seems normal; maybe you're just not used to a turbo driven car. It causes the underhood temperatures to become pretty high and if you're not used to it, it will scare you. As long as your tempm gauge is reading fine, then everything's ok. 4-10 minutes is AMPLE time to let your car idle before shutting it off. In fact, it may be overkill but hey, it won't hurt.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black Wrx
You only need to really give the car about 30-45 seconds idle to cool down before you shut it off. More can't hurt but wont do anything except waste gas and your time.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
It is just a HOT engine; the way it "ticks" and creaks as it cools down reminds me of my dad's 911 (for the German-auto-imparied, that is an AIR COOLED turbo engine) which used to take a full hour to cool after he drove it. The engine hood would still be hot to the touch!

However, more on topic, does anyone know how accurate the engine temp gage for the WRX is? Mine always seems parked at just under 50%, no matter how hot it is outside or how long I have been driving. It seems to just creep up to 45% and then hang there, and then creep down to 0 after I shut it down.

Last edited by meilers; 07-02-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:00 PM

Arrow

Wow, you guys are great.

This is my very FIRST car that I ever owned, plus I have never seen or driven a real turbo in my life... I let this thing cool down at least 10 mins everytime so far...lol And to add onto that I have kept the hood opened for a couple hours to let the hot air out....

That's really good news to hear... I was getting really worried about it, I am used to computers and if they run hot that's bad...lol So I figured the same thing with the car.. hot=bad, let it run for 10 mins to cool down and then pop the hood to let all the hot air out..

Does anyone know how to install a turbo timer with the factory upgraded secturity system? Or have a link on how to do it? Or would it be better to pay someone to do it?

Thanks again guys!
-Nigel
Old 07-02-2003, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by NewShockerGuy
Does anyone know how to install a turbo timer with the factory upgraded secturity system? Or have a link on how to do it?
ScoobyMods.com link to turbo timer + factory security system.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-03-2003, 02:42 AM

Arrow

Yep, I read that and it confuses the hell out of me... There aren't enough pictures. :-(
As far as the Apexi Auto Turbo Timer does it have a wiring harness? I know the blitz turbo timer has one but I think that one is ugly..

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 07-03-2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by meilers

However, more on topic, does anyone know how accurate the engine temp gage for the WRX is? Mine always seems parked at just under 50%, no matter how hot it is outside or how long I have been driving. It seems to just creep up to 45% and then hang there, and then creep down to 0 after I shut it down. [/B]
Yeah, Car manufacturers make that gauge a "dummie" gauge so when you look at another car (Same make) and it reads 2 degrees cooler you don't go running to the dealer and complain. But if the car does start overheating it suddenly becomes smart and will tell you something is wrong.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 03 WRB Sedan
Don't waist your money on the turbo timer, it's not needed. If it bugs you than run good synthetic oil, no worries mate!

Karl
Old 12-22-2003, 01:10 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If '02 temp sensor' means Exhaust Gas Temp sensor, than no worries. The engine is working harder, and burning significantly more fuel during each engine cycle, which results in more heat being discharged when you are moving the car and it is under load conditions.

Quick Reply: Just got my 03' rex, car runs hot..please help.