Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

HELP!! I'm leaking coolant! (after turbo install)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:53 AM

HELP!! I'm leaking coolant! (after turbo install)

Guys help!

I gotta get this working by tonight so I can drive tommorow. My car is leaking coolant from somewhere around the turbo area. I just did a vf34 upgrade (started friday night). I can't find the leak, the hoses look good, after about 5-10 minutes of running idle (a little revving) my temp goes skyhigh and the car pisses out fuild.

About the car,

03 WRX. I did fuel injectors, up/down pipes, fuelpump, turbo.

Any help is apprecaited!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Sounds like you have air in the coolant lines. I think Shiv helped me out when my car was doing the same. About 3 years ago, but If I remember correctly, I let the car cool, and then let it idle without the coolant fill cap onfor a few minutes, it bleeds the air. Mine stopped overheating and spitting out coolant from the overflow immediately after. Give it a try, hope it works for you.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Ohh jeez. That could be it! I drained the fluid, and replaced it, but there could definally be air in the lines. Where is the overflow at (so I can see if its coming out from there. Also The car seems to idle high around 2000rpm then sink down to around 1500-1250rpm
Old 07-05-2005, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
Fuel Injectors - which ones? I don't see you have any form of engine management, which , if you put in bigger injectors, may cause some idle issues.

Coolant leak - leaking from the area of the turbocharger? I assume you reused the factory lines and copper crush washers. Check all the hoses and fittings on the coolant lines from the turbocharger. You'll probably want new copper crush washers if you reused your old ones, as I've had problems with those leaking in the past. Also make sure that the hoses are secured properly on the fittings themselves. See if you can see the leak with the engine idling - I recommend wearing safety goggles if your poking your head in the engine bay while idling and there's a coolant leak in the area. :P

The overflow tank in on the front driver's side of the vehicle, just to the right (standing in front of the car) of the radiator. It has a yellow cap that says "Coolant" or something similar to it indicating its function.

I'm assuming you replaced the lost coolant - if not, that would explain your temps skyrocketing. One method I use is to fill the top reservoir and then squeeze the large topfeed hose going into the radiator. Be careful doing this, especially if the car has been running as the hose will be hot as will the coolant. If you squeeze too hard, you'll launch coolant about 12" out of the reservoir top. You'll start to see the coolant level in the reservoir drop as the air is forced out of the system and percolates up to the highest point in the system (the reservoir, ironically enough). Keep filling and squeezing until the coolant level doesn't drop anymore. Start the car, let it idle for a few minutes then shut down and check the coolant level again. Add more if needed. Repeat if necessary.

Hope this helps.

-Bis