Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

exhaust noice levels (prodrive vs. stromung vs. scoobysport)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 01:35 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
exhaust noice levels (prodrive vs. stromung vs. scoobysport)

i've been looking arround for a quiet aftermarket exhaust for my '03 WRX, and i've narrowed it down to these three choices: stromung, prodrive, and scoobysport. i'd like to hear from people who have one of the three installed with regards to a) how loud the exhaust is b) how it sounds, and c) what sort of performance gains if any were seen.

my critera for a final decision is pretty simple. i want a quiet exhaust that won't bug my neighbors, make my car stand out (it's got to be stealthy for various reasons), and doesn't sound like my engine is exhaling through a kazoo. after that, i want the best performance i can get within those sound limits.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:03 AM

ive heard the prodrive and stromung. scoobysport, ive only heard online.

prodrive seems a tad quiet. it sounds a little deeper than stock. performance im not too sure about

stromung sounds mean. ive heard it on a 2.5 rs, and boy is it mean. my friend didnt notice much gains.

scoobysport sounds lovely. (well at least thats what i got from the download) its low deep, and very very aggressive. from their website they say there are gains. but i read some reviews from some people saying that they didnt notice much gains.

i personally would go for scoobysport. if you are willing to wait for like half a year, they are the best sounding. IMHO. they have had the most experience with imprezas.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Love my Stromung...
Not too loud. I have the Stromung dual tip axle back with the TurboXS Stealth system: 4" catless downpipe, high flow cat, and mid-pipe. I don't believe you will see a signifigant hp gains from a axle back only. Cat back you will. Turbo back you definitly will.
This system is on my wagon. A signifigant factor for in cabin sound.
I had a Bozz perfomace catless turbo back system for two weeks. In my wagon, between 2900 and 4k rpm, there was an umbearable droning. It sounded mean around town, but was hell long distance. I sold it to a buddy with a sedan and it's night and day. The back seats seal the trunk off.
Stronmung is just right for me. Much nicer tone than stock.(no rice) Very nice looking as well. All polished stainless. Very clean (no coffee can)
When you really get on it, you know its there.
The TXS downpipe is nice cause you get to hear the turbo wind up.

my $.02
Old 06-19-2003, 10:37 AM

i found the same info when i was initially looking for exhaust noise levels, and it didn't help me much because i wasn't interested in any of the Japanese exhausts since most of them either a) have a huge tip and look silly or b) are way too loud.

in the end, i've pretty much decided to go with ScoobySport. they give dBa levels on their website that are within the legal limits, and from what i've heard they sound pretty good when you get on the loud pedal.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:26 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
If you just want an axleback I'd check with your local muffler shop. They could custom-fit a Magnaflow muffler (which is what TurboXS and Vishnu both use) with whatever tip you want. You would get a nice deep sound and probably a few hp for cheaper than the options you are considering.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:43 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally posted by bone324
If you just want an axleback I'd check with your local muffler shop. They could custom-fit a Magnaflow muffler (which is what TurboXS and Vishnu both use) with whatever tip you want. You would get a nice deep sound and probably a few hp for cheaper than the options you are considering.
that crap is way loud

the scooby sport if i could afford it

mrt because i can afford it
Old 06-20-2003, 08:11 AM

finally, someone that owns the ScoobySport exhaust posts! thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:26 AM

If your looking for that Hong Kong rice boy style then this is not the setup for you. If you perfer function over anything else...this is the exhaust for your scooby......
any sort of "Hong Kong rice-boy style" part isn't coming anywhere near my WRX. i'm after function and stealth, plain and simple.

Quick Reply: exhaust noice levels (prodrive vs. stromung vs. scoobysport)