Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

engine pings/runs crappy after washing car (was: OhCrap.What jus happend!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Car Info: wrx
Thumbs up OhCrap.What jus happend!!!

ok check it out!!!
....well i woke up this morning.washed my car....took her for a little spin..and...gees wth happend.....every time i try to..full throttle..she wont go anywhere....but say if i hold 1/4 throttle ill pick up speed faster but.seems like i have 75% loss of power..seems to me detenation/pinging around 4500rpms and no matter what..i will never..make it past 5000.....but..yesterday//my car was flying!!!!...SEriously the only thing i can think of is..the ecu not resetting the gas map back correctly which is making..her run super lean causin...pinging..///butt..i have no clue what to do..iv checked for leaks..with no success!!.....
-stock ecu
-Megan Racing.Tip.
-Aem cold air intake.....
...........................................iv takin her in to several shops..which i dont like to do...buttt...they still cant figure it out...
-i have the sensor closest to the turbo..go bad but replaced...
-she got me this time..SO far.!!help.

Last edited by n00bR; 02-12-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:09 AM

cold air intake probably got water in it. You should take that off anyways.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 AM

N0!.that is not the reason..i can throw the stock box on there.and have the same problems!!!....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Damaged AFM maybe? Do you have someone near by that you could swap out Air flow meters with and see if that is it?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 AM

Cool

NopEuggg
Old 02-12-2006, 01:59 PM

Noobie

did you wash the engine too? if you did i'm betting that you got some water into the alternator, and into the coil plugs.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX WR Blue
I am having the same problem on my 04 REX then at about 6700-7000 it starts knocking or ticking. Took it to the dealer and they said the turbo is blown.... So I picked up a TD04L and put it in Saturday (which was an adventure) got the car up to temp then I drove it for about an houre making sure it was, not getting on the throttle at all. then once I did boost would only go to 7psi ( should be .05MPa) from 2k to about 5k rpms then after 5200 it would lose power but the boost would stay there. Almost it was hesitating or choaking. then at about 6500 it would start clicking, or knocking comming from the passanger side of the engine bay.... and there are NO mods... absolutly bone stock except for truck mudflaps, charchol grey stripe going into the TMIC scoup, a front lower lip, oh and the 04 STI full exhaust with cats.. but a gutted muffler for some extra grunt.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Originally Posted by BlueREX04
I am having the same problem on my 04 REX then at about 6700-7000 it starts knocking or ticking. Took it to the dealer and they said the turbo is blown.... So I picked up a TD04L and put it in Saturday (which was an adventure) got the car up to temp then I drove it for about an houre making sure it was, not getting on the throttle at all. then once I did boost would only go to 7psi ( should be .05MPa) from 2k to about 5k rpms then after 5200 it would lose power but the boost would stay there. Almost it was hesitating or choaking. then at about 6500 it would start clicking, or knocking comming from the passanger side of the engine bay.... and there are NO mods... absolutly bone stock except for truck mudflaps, charchol grey stripe going into the TMIC scoup, a front lower lip, oh and the 04 STI full exhaust with cats.. but a gutted muffler for some extra grunt.
Do you still have your stock uppipe in your car? I bet you anything that's what it is. You probably burned up your cat in the uppipe and it dislodged and is clogging the turbo. The same thing happened to me and I, too, thought it was the turbo, so I spent $650 on a brand new turbo from Subaru and I still had the problem. I took it to another shop (Vishnu) and they diagnosed it and replaced my uppipe with one of theirs. Problem solved.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
Do you still have your stock uppipe in your car? I bet you anything that's what it is. You probably burned up your cat in the uppipe and it dislodged and is clogging the turbo. The same thing happened to me and I, too, thought it was the turbo, so I spent $650 on a brand new turbo from Subaru and I still had the problem. I took it to another shop (Vishnu) and they diagnosed it and replaced my uppipe with one of theirs. Problem solved.

After you mentioned that it made sence. what did they charge you and did you get any CELs or is it a catted or non-cat up-pipe. I never changed the uppipe yet. I am debating on getting the stockpipe gutted (since I can weld almost anyting except for aluminum).
Old 02-12-2006, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BlueREX04
After you mentioned that it made sence. what did they charge you and did you get any CELs or is it a catted or non-cat up-pipe. I never changed the uppipe yet. I am debating on getting the stockpipe gutted (since I can weld almost anyting except for aluminum).
I got jacked on price and I didn't know any different back then. I paid $525 or so for Vishnu's 321 uppipe and labor. Most reputable shops will do install for around $140-170 these days. Then you pick whatever uppipe you would like. Just be sure you change out the gaskets on each end while in the process, or you will have leaks, and it's no fun to try to fix later. You should go with a catless uppy, as the stock cat is only there for cold starts and doesn't do much good. You get much quicker turbo spoolup without it, too.

As for the CEL, they add some sort of loop so it doesn't trip it. I don't know how it's done because I've never done it, but you can do a search or most anyone else on here could answer that. The gutted stock uppy would do just fine. Actually most people prefer that, to pass emissions. But most smog stations don't see aftermarket uppipes anyways.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 PM

I got jacked on price and I didn't know any different back then. I paid $525 or so for Vishnu's 321 uppipe and labor. Most reputable shops will do install for around $140-170 these days. Then you pick whatever uppipe you would like. Just be sure you change out the gaskets on each end while in the process, or you will have leaks, and it's no fun to try to fix later. You should go with a catless uppy, as the stock cat is only there for cold starts and doesn't do much good. You get much quicker turbo spoolup without it, too.

As for the CEL, they add some sort of loop so it doesn't trip it. I don't know how it's done because I've never done it, but you can do a search or most anyone else on here could answer that. The gutted stock uppy would do just fine. Actually most people prefer that, to pass emissions. But most smog stations don't see aftermarket uppipes anyways.
What about the 7psi of boost = not going to 13.x under full exceleration? Would that be casued by that as well even with a turbo that has 3K on it ( I bought one from a friend that bought a 1820)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

A turbo with 3000 miles should not have any problems. The first thing that usually happens when a turbo is breaking down is a wobbly shaft, or "shaft play." You should have checked that before you put it in. But, considering you had the same problem before and after you changed your turbo (low boost, ticking noise, etc.) my bet is on the cat in the uppipe still. I would get it changed out ASAP. The more you drive it, the more you have a chance of pieces of the cat breaking loose and messing up your new turbo. Mine started out as low boost up at the upper rpm range, and gradually got worse as I drove it. At the worst point, I was getting 0-3 psi of boost at wide open throttle. The car felt completely gutless. I'm lucky I didn't mess up my turbo. Hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:44 PM

A turbo with 3000 miles should not have any problems. The first thing that usually happens when a turbo is breaking down is a wobbly shaft, or "shaft play." You should have checked that before you put it in. But, considering you had the same problem before and after you changed your turbo (low boost, ticking noise, etc.) my bet is on the cat in the uppipe still. I would get it changed out ASAP. The more you drive it, the more you have a chance of pieces of the cat breaking loose and messing up your new turbo. Mine started out as low boost up at the upper rpm range, and gradually got worse as I drove it. At the worst point, I was getting 0-3 psi of boost at wide open throttle. The car felt completely gutless. I'm lucky I didn't mess up my turbo. Hope this helps!

It does you have no idea!! Thanks!!!

So which one do you recomend for the up pipe?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
helix has a flex joint up-pipe... very affordable, its basically all u need.. anything else would be extra money spent... for the same thing
Old 02-14-2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Boost Addict
helix has a flex joint up-pipe... very affordable, its basically all u need.. anything else would be extra money spent... for the same thing

OK what about this... from EBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-05...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: engine pings/runs crappy after washing car (was: OhCrap.What jus happend!!!)