Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Does the cai help any?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
I had the Injen intake in my car for a while. Some of the things that I have noticed would be that there is more noise. The noise is the sound of air being vaccumed in. You will also be able to better hear your bypass valve much clearer. So inside the car it will sound like you have BOV. Another thing to be careful of with this particular intake is that the filter sits really really low in my opinion than it needs to be. If you live in an area where it rains a lot, you are probably better off just removing the resinator from your fender and putting a K&N replacement filter. I did not think that the intake did all that much but I did notice that it was a bit smoother, almost hardly noticeable. The reason why the intake is not in my car now is because of the winter rain. My intake sucked up quite a bit of water and with major puddles where I drive through I worry about water getting into the engine.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:51 AM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
The cold air intake leans out the air/fuel mixture and does increase hp. I have the AEM CAI and loved it at first. It sounds cool and I did feel more power.

But a better safer alternative would be to get a replacement panel filter like the K&N unit. It won't increase hp as much initially as the CAI. But if you plan on more mods in the future like boost controller, exhaust, engine management then it would be safer to run the panel filter.

Panel filter is much cheaper and safer and more mod friendly.

CAI is good if you are not going to aggressively mod your car.

Happy motoring