Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Do I need 3" exhaust? (just got VF30)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 05:30 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
You can get by with your existing exhaust system but there are probably more gains to be had if your engine management was tuned for 3" exhaust. Check with your tuner if you have an off-the-shelf map.

There are catbacks with 3" tubing on the market with either single or dual tips but I am not a fan of the ones with the cut tips featuring a single-wall construction. I have a 3" Strömung dual-tip catback and now that it has a weathered look from being on the car for many months, it can pass for a factory exhaust. It is louder than stock but nowhere near as loud as those grapefruit-shooter mufflers. The only drawbacks are that it comes extremely close to the rear diff because it tucks way up under the car like the factory catback and the tubing necks down at the flange that bolts up to the 3rd cat section on the stock exhaust to maintain compatibility.

There are other 3" dual-tip catback sections out there. A search of this forum will probably yield results.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush