Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

The cold air intake debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:14 AM

Car Info: '03 Silver WRX
From what I've read, CAIs don't do sh*t for the WRX. Short ram intakes seem to be okay, but most people just end up reinstalling the stock air box and drop in a new foam filter.

I've done the silencer mod, but am yet to buy an aftermarket foam filter, or a short ram intake for that matter. I think it will be one of my last mods if done at all.

Also, try doing a search for "CAI" or even "Injen" because I know this has been talked about quite a bit on this forum, as well as others.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:43 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
cold air intakes dont do anything when the cold air passes through a hot *** turbo
Old 11-03-2003, 01:54 AM

Car Info: '03 Silver WRX
SpoonTypeR, check this out too:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=173451
Old 11-03-2003, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by Scott@S-Squared
cold air intakes dont do anything when the cold air passes through a hot *** turbo
I guess Subaru/FHI was wrong when they spent the extra money designing and equipping the WRX with a factory CAI?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:20 AM
BanHammer™

if the factory comes with a CAI ( which I guess if you want to you can call it that ) why do people need to install aftermarket ones then ?

either way, a cold air intake is not going to make any difference when the intake charge is heated to 200 deg. Thats why we have intercoolers on turbos.

If a CAI really did something, maybe we could just throw out the IC and be done with it

:banana:

Last edited by Max Xevious; 11-03-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:43 PM

if the factory comes with a CAI ( which I guess if you want to you can call it that ) why do people need to install aftermarket ones then ?
I never suggested that anyone needed an aftermarket CAI. In fact, it's my belief that the factory CAI system is more than adequate even with sizeable engine modifications. Subaru's engineers designed the stock system to draw in cool air from the front of the vehicle.

either way, a cold air intake is not going to make any difference when the intake charge is heated to 200 deg. Thats why we have intercoolers on turbos.
Think about it. Are you saying that no matter how cool the air is when it enters the intake, it will be heated to the same temperature upon exiting the turbo?

Cooler air entering the turbo means cooler air exiting the turbo which leads to less load on the intercooler.

- Kean
Old 11-03-2003, 12:50 PM
BanHammer™

if you heat an oven to 400 degrees, does it not get to 400 becuase its colder outside ?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:09 PM

if you heat an oven to 400 degrees, does it not get to 400 becuase its colder outside ?
I'm not sure what preheating an oven to 400 degrees has to do with cool, charged air being shot through a hot turbo? You would have to introduce some of that cooler air from outside into your preheated oven for your scenario to make sense (while not increasing the load of the oven to compensate for the resulting temperature drop).

- Kean
Old 11-04-2003, 12:07 AM

The oven will heat to 400 degrees, but it would take more energy to do so. But just like the oven on a cold day, the cold air intake temperature on a heated turbo charge will make miniscule differences, and probably zero impact on performance.

But if you want the intake for just the looks and sound alone, and a possible turbo upgrade in the future, then go for it. The Injen cold air intake is actually listed as one of the "predictable" intakes according to Cobb Tuning for their ecu upgrade.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 AM

I've got an injen cai, and it hasn't given me any problems. Of course, it doesn't do jack! Waste of over 200 bucks if you ask me. If you MUST get one, this would be the one to get. As mentioned before, Cobb has maps for it for their access ecu. I also talked to someone from Turbo XS, and he said that the injen is not that bad. If you run a utec, you'll just have to play with the timing a bit and you're good to go. Stick with the stock airbox though.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Dave04WRX
The oven will heat to 400 degrees, but it would take more energy to do so. But just like the oven on a cold day, the cold air intake temperature on a heated turbo charge will make miniscule differences, and probably zero impact on performance.
I suppose one could assume that. It would be interesting to see the impacts of the factory intake vs. a short ram on post-turbo/intercooler temps.

I guess the main point here is that the factory intake (CAI or not) is more than adequate to handle the job. Up to this point, no one has proven to me that an aftermarket CAI provides appreciable gains in performance. I take it we agree on that?

- Kean
Old 11-04-2003, 10:54 AM
BanHammer™

yeah.. aftermarket CAI dont do anything.

I guess we can agree on that

Quick Reply: The cold air intake debate