Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:43 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Exclamation Check Engine Light

I fix my boost gauge and take the car out. The gauge works fine, but the CEL flashes. I immeadatly take the car home and call the dealership. This is what they found. Too Rich, Cat (no longer on car), misfire on all 4 cylinders, and exhaust gas temp. In the write up conclusion they stated: Possible engine running too rich causeing rich misfireing which causes enging light to flash. My mods are injen intake, Gruppe-S up pipe, HKS down, Apexi cat back, Fidanza flywheel, and ACT clutch. With that set up, wouldnt the car run too lean? I am lost and hope that someone can figure out what my car is doing.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by SuboobaruWRSEX; 11-12-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:04 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
lightend flywheel wil lcause the car to " think" its misfiring. check your wire to the maf sensor, if that is loose it will cause all kinds of problems. if you get a mil eliminator that will sold the missing cat check engine light. also which egt code did you get? is it missing or just too high?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 PM

I bought a cel eliminatior for the cat, but havnt put it on yet. This weekends project. The error codes that I got are as follows:
PO172 System too rich, PO420 Cat, PO301, PO302, PO303, PO304 missfire on all cylinders, and PO546 exhaust gas temp. Hope this helps. Is there anything I can do for the flywheel?

Nick
Old 11-13-2003, 12:47 AM
Chewwwwy

nothing you can do for the flywheel other then remove it. the mil eliminator will take care of p0420, 1072 is probably a fluke if you are running stock engine management. put the mil eliminator in, reset your ecu and give it another shot.

fot the temp one, if it comes back, put a 2.2kohm resistor where the egt sensor plugs in, and that wil ltake care of it.

good luck!!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:26 AM

Thanks, I will do that.

Nick
Old 11-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Chewwwwy

let us know how it gos
Old 11-23-2003, 04:38 PM

Put on the CEL fix and reset the computer. Checked the codes and it said that the exhaust temp was high. This was on friday. I drove the car friday, saturday, and sunday. On sunday night, I was driving home on the highway with the cruse on. The CEL light up again. WTF I am startin to get pissed. Anymore info?

Nick.

Last edited by SuboobaruWRSEX; 11-23-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:28 PM

Car Info: 1998 Chevy S10... lowww
maybe your fix came loose?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:26 PM

Im gonna doubt it. It was soddered together, then a rubber shrink wrap cover was put on it. Would really have to work it to come loose.

Nick
Old 11-25-2003, 05:45 PM

Checked the CEL. Another hot exhaust temp code. What is going on to cause that?
Nick
Old 11-26-2003, 10:56 AM

I dont have any cats. How hard is it to check the plugs in out cars? Could I safely add like 2lbs of boost since I am runnin rich?

Nick
Old 11-28-2003, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Hey guys, saw this thread and remembered my CEL on my car. I was wondering if I could rid of this damn thing. The CEL came up after, I forgot what code it was but it had to do with the bank 1 and 2 sensor having a low circuit. My only mods are gutted Uppipe, Invidia Turboback exhaust. I did the resistor mod for the uppipe and I also did the MIL eliminator fix for the downpipe. I know the MIL fix is properly installed coz my A/F gauge isn't bouncing up and down anymore like before. I've been drivin with the CEL light now for months and the car drives great. I just wish I could get rid of it though for a change. Any of you guys have ideas? Could this maybe be a faulty O2 sensor?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light