Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

CEL Won't Turn Off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:15 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
CEL Won't Turn Off!

I've got an 02 WRX and my CEL won't turn off when I reset the computer by using the disconnect the negative wire to the battery method. It is off for a second and then it pops back on. I had it checked by the dealer before and it was the catalyst inefficiency code and I could reset the computer and it would be off for a week or two and then it would go back on. For some reason now it won't turn off. I had the dealer check it again and they said it was the same problem, but I don't think they actually checked it because they didn't put anything about it in the invoice from my service. I had to ask them and the guy said its the cat. Why would the check engine light not turn off when I reset it?

Here are my engine mods:
- MRT Downpipe w/cat
- MRT Uppipe
- Custom Cat-back
- GFB Hybrid BOV
- Greddy Profec B Spec-II (set at 14.5psi)
- RVM Lightweight Slightly Underdriven Crank Pulley
- K&N Filter
Old 11-24-2003, 05:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
First of all, it's time to stop resetting your ECU every time. This is not going to "fix" anything. Since the dealer doesn't seem to be cooperating you can get the code read elsewhere, if you can find an Autozone they should do it free, or ask in your local forum (try NASIOC too) for help from someone who has a scanner.
If it's just the catalyst inefficiency code it will be a P0420, if it's something else post it here and we can help you figure it out. I'm thinking it's not just the 0420 since the ECU does not test for cat efficiency right away, it only does this test at steady speeds such as when on a highway. If the CEL is coming on immediately at startup there is something else wrong.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
Get a CEL defender.....
Old 12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Are you stepping on the brake to fully drain the juice from the system?

If so, then I would agree that something else is wrong and you should get the code pulled.

I would also explore a more permanent solution like this:
http://www.ponyexpressperformance.co...liminator.html

Good luck.

-=Eric
Old 12-30-2003, 02:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
yeah get a mil eliminator if you dont have it and you might need the 2.2k ohm resistor for the uppipe sensor.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:13 PM

Took it to the dealer.

Well I took it to Dewey-Griffin Subaru today to get it serviced and to have a couple things fixed and I forgot to mention to ask about the check engine light. I called them up and asked one of the guys in service if it would be possible to get the check engine light codes. He said that he couldn't because I had removed a catalytic converter. How does that work? I asked if he could just get me the codes and he said that he would have to charge me. That was the end of the phone call. I'm not particularly happy with my dealer. By the way, I have a MIL eliminator, but I don't have the 2.2k resistor in. I have the egt probe in and didn't worry about doin the resistor mod. I was told that it wouldn't be a problem. Could that be something causing the CEL?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:57 PM

Figured it out.

I took my car to a shop that diagnosed the CEL and it was triggered by the missing stock boost solenoid. When I put in my Greddy Profec B Spec-II in I just took the stock solenoid out and the ECU noticed it. Well the dealer was wrong. It wasn't the Cat Ineffiency Code.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
I'd keep that 2.2k resistor in the car, for when that EGT probe fails. Just hope you get the "low" failure, and not the "there's a fire in the uppipe" failure...the latter results in the limp mode.

Glad you got it figured out.