Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

CEL/Downpipe Question???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:03 AM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
the most common one is p0420 which is cat inefficiency.

A cel fix will fix 02-03 subys cel lights. The 04 cel fix doesn't exist it throws a p0139 but i put a mod out on scoobymods on how to correct the problem. There is also a thread on this forum that is labled "p0139 theory" by me (ironic isn't it...) that shows both cel fixs and how to install them with radio shack components.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 AM
VIP Member

So they don't have a cel fix for 04's. I thought that they did?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Littleboyblue
So they don't have a cel fix for 04's. I thought that they did?
Well there is a fix i posted it. There is also a mechanical fix to work supposedly with the old fix which basically hides the o2 sensor from the exhaust with spark plug extenders, odd i know.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

That is odd. So if I was to order a helix up pipe, the cel fix that they send me will work right?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 PM

That is odd. So if I was to order a helix up pipe, the cel fix that they send me will work right?
The one i installed with a friends car which is catless didn't have the 04' fix. Dont worry though the parts for it are like 3 dollars at the most at radio shack.

I have the diagrams listed at scooby mods for both sensors fixes if you car to look.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Cool thanks. So where do I see that diagram?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
If you want to fix your problem, number one please search there are tons and tons of threads on this, what I did for my 04 is get two sparkplug extenders screwed them together, drilled a hole in the bottom of one, and screwed that on the pipe, no cel for me. If you have any other questions I can get more detailed for ya, just pm me.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:09 PM

Here's the link to my electronic fix

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3768

the old cel fix

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3417
Old 06-30-2004, 02:39 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
is it essential to do this cel fix right away or is it okay to keep it on for the time being knowing that its only appearing because of the downpipe installation? just wondering if ne harm is done to the engine or ne thing of that sort..cuz i swapped out my entire exhaust with downpipe and had cel but havent done ne cel fixes "yet"
Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM

The second cat is just a clean up tool and the sensor basically just monitors the cat telling you if the cat is working or not.

From my understanding the real tuning portion of the sensor array is the first oxygen sensor located on the header, and the EGT also plays a minor role in the adjustment i believe as well.

If you have an accessport you can clear the codes. If not you can always disconnect your battery terminal for awhile (10 mins) and it should reset the code.

For as cheaply as you can make the cel fix i suggest you just do it
Old 06-30-2004, 11:45 PM
VIP Member

Roadspike, if I was to put the up pipe in, would it void the exhaust warranty or does it void the engine? Also, if I was to put it in and the cel comes on and I do the fix. But then I have to take it to get work done, can they tell that the cel came on?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:40 PM

Roadspike, if I was to put the up pipe in, would it void the exhaust warranty or does it void the engine? Also, if I was to put it in and the cel comes on and I do the fix. But then I have to take it to get work done, can they tell that the cel came on?

Well that entirely to the disgression of SOA. Personally upping the power in the way an upipe or Down pipe does more then likely would viod warrenty in SOA's eyes. However if you put the stock parts back on (you would have to forgo cutting the heatshield ie: not put it on or buy one) then you could always redo the exhaust with stock and therefore trick SOA into not voiding the warrenty.

General rule: Aftermarket parts void warrentys and very few dealers will do anything if they are on the cars. I guess the dealer pays for the parts out of pocket so they tend to be pretty strict and anything that allows them to not pay up is good for them.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:18 AM
VIP Member

Thanks! I pretty much thought the same thing.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:37 PM

Littleblueboy---thats not exactly accurate about the warranty- Im at 35k with my 02 and i had a problem --to make a long story short, the car was gaining rpms but creeping along-so they replaced the center diff-wasnt that then they replaced the entire clutch assembly, wasnt that - finally they found it was the retainer clips that hold the rear axles in had both come out -i told them i was getting tons of torque steer especially on wet pavement -so i was driving with FWD all that time - so all this was covered under warranty and I have -turboxsuppipe and TBE, CAI, BOV and they made a case number with SOA as with all warranty coverage items- needless to say car is purfect now thanks to SOA and my dealer this time!